Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now i run regular grade pump fuel in my cat but i was thinking about this year going to high octane is it worth the extra money on the premium grade pump fuel? if you go up can you come back down if its not avavlable anymore? do i have to change jettin if i go with a different grade?

thanks

·
Registered
442 Posts
as long as its not a high performance sled like a 97 ZR 440 for example all of arctic cat's sleds to my knowledge require 87 octane and as long as you dont get on it for miles and miles such as on a lake 87 octane should be just fine but i always run a little higher octane in my sled just because its cheap insurance and around here the only gas thats not oxygenated is the premium gas

going back to that 97 ZR 440 which was a fairly high tweaked engine from the factory it required that if you run 87 octane that you run 300-310 main jets for up to 2000 ft elevation from 0-20 degrees F but if you run 90 octane or above you should run 280-290 main jets in the same conditions so it just all depends on what you manufacturer recommends

just dont think that the more octane the better because with a stock motor it will run the strongest with octane around what is recommened

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it add any snap or performance?

·
Registered
310 Posts
hey zr580srule, so that sled of mine will a nice strong motor?? thats good! thnx for the jettin spex. how much hp does it put out, and will it beat a 99 xc 500??

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If I buy fuel on the trail where theres a good posibility that it may be old/stale I always buy super for added protection against detonation but when buying it at a major station wheres its more likely fresh fuel I always use regular. No power advantage with super if your engine doesn't required it, just a waste of money.

·
Registered
516 Posts
yeah thats what i hear too if the sled is set up and required 87 oct then thats the best to use unless you advance the timing to where you can now use a higher oct gas i have my timing advanced to where i use 92 oct gas cause it will burn it properly now but now i can't go down to 87 oct

·
Registered
516 Posts
:withstupid: LOL thats funny :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts