Snowmobile World banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching alot of the video's posted here and notice alot of you guys use the MX helmet with the goggles.
Why did you choose the mx helmet over a full face helmet?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I wear an HJC motoX helmet, NoFog w/headband, and Scott goggles. I've been riding like this for 5 years.

My primary reason for this setup is absolutely no vision/fogging issues. I found with my old full-face that fogging was sometimes an issue .but admittedly, I didn't have an electric visor at the time.

Another excellent and warm (!) setup is with the NoFog and a full-face helmet. No fogging problems with it either.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i think the primary reason is when you breathe into your a full faced your breathe gets up on the visor and freezes, with goggles you dont get that problem

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yeah. A good, effective breath deflector is important. Look at the BRP BV2S helmets for example.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I did it also for vision, but on the really cold days I will sometimes throw on a full face just for the comfort. I find with the full face helmets half the time I am leaving the visor open a crack anyways to stay cool and keep the visor fog free unless its a really cool day.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
When powder busting the last thing you want to wear is a smother bucket..>>full face.. The Modular and the BVS2 are the worst offenders. My Pro-vue's with the auto tint have never fogged yet. I wear one of those high tech windproof Balaclava's >>Unwind I think the name is. this combined with my SD Sno-x helmet has served me well so far.

Permafrost

·
Registered
465 Posts
I wear a HJC CL-X4 Dark grey openm face with Oakley Sno-X goggles. I love the combination, and it is great in Michigan, but when you go up to the Canada area, I would definetly not wear one. You will get frostbite if you wear one in Canada. My dad was recently up on a Canada run, and he wore his Modular helmet, but the problem is that the air tubes get filled with ice from all of the moisture and it gets hard to breathe. I would suggest a closed face HJC helmet for Canada but you can wear a open-face anywhere besides there and you will be fine.

just my thoughts,
Frank

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The other week in northern Ontario when it was -36*C (almost -40* F) in Timmins we didn't see any riders w/ open face helmets.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking about the fog purpose but wasn't 100% sure.
I have a Cat helmet with the breath shield now and does sometimes have a fog problem.
Do the goggles come with the double lens like a skii goggle would?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was thinking about the fog purpose but wasn't 100% sure.
I have a Cat helmet with the breath shield now and does sometimes have a fog problem.
Do the goggles come with the double lens like a skii goggle would?[/b]
I have an HJC CL-12 full face helmit w/heated shield. Works great for when it is really cold....but Honestly even when it is really cold I tend to reach for the A/C open face snowX helmit w/Scott turbo flow goggles(yes they are double lens). It's just way better when yor playing off trail....and yes I'll be the first to say it....They look cool too!!!!! :D

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
get both

I have both

the SnoX is great in -13c/10f or warmer weather

any colder its the Fullface

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The other week in northern Ontario when it was -36*C (almost -40* F) in Timmins we didn't see any riders w/ open face helmets.[/b]
I don't have any problem with those temps and open face helmets... I don't ride on those cold days :D

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Son wears an open face, skin ends up all red when the ride is over. Don't know how you guys do it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I liked the idea of the MX style helmet, until I saw Slednecks. The guy was wearing a helmet, but still managed to cut his forehead on the handlebars. Probably would have happened with any helmet though.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Never really been cold wearing my open face, the thing I don't like about it is all the wind noise you get at high speeds. For me its about no fogging without any wires and being able to flip the goggles off when playing hard to get more air. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have thought about this also...only problem I could see is the frostbite thing. I have ridden with guys with MX and goggles, and they all seemed to get frostbite at the corners where goggles end and the helmet starts. They all looked pretty funny putting duct tape on there temples to limit the direct wind exposure.

For the people that wear MX and goggles, what is a solution to that, a good balaclava???

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
doo rider the balaclava is definately the trick to staying frostbite free with a mx style helmet. I have never got frostbite in my mx style helmet, but have on more than one occasion with my modular. The front of a modular helmet is far weaker than a mx style helmet. Too many weak links in it. A good friend was killed last winter in Quebec while wearing his Modular during an accident. The front of the helmet disintegrated.

The unwind is the way to go UNWIND BALACLAVA

·
Registered
876 Posts
doo rider the balaclava is definately the trick to staying frostbite free with a mx style helmet. I have never got frostbite in my mx style helmet, but have on more than one occasion with my modular. The front of a modular helmet is far weaker than a mx style helmet. Too many weak links in it. A good friend was killed last winter in Quebec while wearing his Modular during an accident. The front of the helmet disintegrated.

The unwind is the way to go UNWIND BALACLAVA[/b]

excellent....thanks Perm. one more question that might help anyone looking do switch to open face. I can't see all goggles fitting into all helmets perfectly.. there are probably a ton of combinations that do work....but maybe its easier to list which combinations don't fit that well.

If anyone has any goggle/MX helmets combos that just don't fit right can you post them?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts