Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your opinion... Which is going to be the better sled, the 2008 Yamaha FX Nytro or the 2008 Polaris 600RR?

Will

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
it all depends on the type of rider u are. they're both stand up machines but one's more snowcross track bred than the other. the 600rr is coming off of polaris' awesome 440 race chassis with detuned race suspension and they through their 600 ho motor in it. the motor isnt going to put out the power or torque of the 1000 triple from yamaha (close to 140) but it'll still have plenty of get up and go. polaris will have a kit to help make this motor produce more power for the mod class (150ish hp). the polaris wont have the fuel economy or the fit and finish of the yamaha. reliability has to go to the yamaha as well.

to each their own but i'm trying out the nytro this year and changing a few things. i'm sure ill like it more than my rev. that 600 is WAY over priced, i think ill let them drop down a few bucks and find a clean used one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you probably noticed, I reserved an FX Nytro for 2008. I wanted what I hope will be one of the best ditch banging sleds of 2008 and from all the reviews I read and suggestions I got back in March, I feel great about my choice. I also ride in deep powder though. But in the end I figured that once I get a real good handle on riding the Nytro, since I only weigh 145 lbs, I should be able to use the hp the Nytro puts out to my advantage and shouldn't have much issue in the deep powder. Then at the same time, I should be able to hammer the trail like I want to at times. Afterall, our trails up here in Alaska get some extremely wicked moguls at times.

I posted the FX Nytro vs 600RR post because it was a pretty difficult choice for me when I was looking in the Spring. I thought it would be neat to get more opinions at this point. The main reason I ended up going with the FX Nytro was because after riding my brother's 2007 Yamaha Attak, I finally had confidence that Yamaha has it together with their 4-strokes. The torgue and low end power was fantastic, granted the Attak is a long track and has a bit more hp, I still felt like the 4-stroke was what I wanted to go with. The fact that the 600RR didn't come with a speedometer was annoying too. Other than that it was so hard for me to choose. I think both sleds are going to be amazing.

I had been riding Polaris from the time I started riding at 14 years old up until recently. Guess it was time for a change. I also looked into the 2008 Skidoo MZX X and I just was too worried that they actually may have made the XP chassis too light and it may not hold up as well. It may hold up great but just bothered me a bit.

How do you think the FX Nytro will compare to the 600RR in the deep powder (1.5ft or deeper).

Will

·
Registered
980 Posts
As mentioned here before, it depends on your riding - but I would also like to add that it depends on the reliability of your dealer.
I would never consider buying a new Polaris, but that is because of the service I would receive from the local dealer. Never met a bigger bunch of clueless people in my life. Please Polaris guys, I am sure the sled is nice, but being brand new, so much of your season is dictated by the competency of your service department.

As for fit, finish, reliability, mileage, and longevity - you can never go wrong with Yamaha (and this is coming from a Cat guy)

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I have to say, after seeing an RR up close, I absolutely LOVE it. It's very very close to being the ideal sled for me, and the only things I would like to change are, I'd like a bigger, but more feul efficient motor, and I'd like a slightly bigger gas tank.

Throw in a cheaper price and I'll be riding one next year. In the mean time, I really can't complain about the Dragon, it does everything I need it to do.

The Nytro is a sweet ride, but should really be compared to a Dragon 700 and not an RR. They are in completely different catagories in terms of horsepower and purpose. THe RR is a purpose built mogul sled, and trail-riding it is like taking your moto-crosser on a nice highway ride. The Nytro is more like a dual-purpose bike, not nearly as capable in the rough, but alot more comfortable on the trails.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
yep to way different sleds. the nitro doenst have near the handling yamaha says it does and really is not a big bump sled. it not like its a trail sled but no big jumper. the rr is the exact smae as the IQR accept the motor, fuel tank, reverse, and shock vavling, o and slightly differetn cooling system and 1.25 track. it the best big bump big jump machine ever made. then agian though its no trail machine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Fx Nytro for sure no question, and not to dis any polaris people but polaris stands for " Please Repair us" but they are very good sleds just a funny quoute

1 - 9 of 9 Posts