Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
garmin 500 would this unit be any good for a snowmobile? i called garmin to see if this unit dos a bread crumb trail they said no then i asked them some thing else they really don't know, so here i am asking if this a good unit to buy i need something with a big screen and that will put down a dread crumb trail so i can find my way back. trying to ride some new trails that i have never ran before and i don't know where they go. any help would be good. my friend has a delorme pn 40 it is really nice but the screen is to small for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Goood question, im llookin to get a GPS for next year to, I just dont kno wat to get.. if u find a good one, lemme kno!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
For sledding, I really like my Garmin RINO. It has 2-way radio capability, has multiple NOAA weather channels with alert (130 and 530) and has peer to peer locating of other RINOs in the area. It's great if you're in a group and get a little misplaced; you key your mic, your location shows up on their GPS and vice versa. The screen is a little small, especially on the 130 model. Color on the 530 is awesome. I have found the 530 doesn't work well inside a vehicle, but if you get the newer 530HCX, it receives a LOT better inside. It's small enough to fit in a pocket, which is where I put mine, but I ride with a buddy that has a mount and he has it on his dash. Unless you roll over and tear off the mount, that is a pretty secure place to put it. He has purchased extra mounts for his vehicles and his quad, so the GPS is instantly transferrable.

The 130 takes AA batteries, which will last a day of riding. The 530 takes a proprietary battery pack, which has lasted me 3 days at times between charging.

I got mine at the GPS store, which at the time had the best price I could find. Things have changed a lot since then, you may find one cheaper!

http://thegpsstore.com/

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use a vista HCx, It has breadcrumbs for when I go to new places and I mark waypoints at intersections. It works perfectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts