Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week during our trip I had my GPS just shut down while riding. It wasn't during the coldest days or on rough trails. When it happened, I was travelling @ a "higher" speed on fairly flat trails. All of a sudden the screen would just go blank. I'd stop the sled, turn the GPS back on & proceed. Sometimes it would shut off again, sometimes no more interruptions.

The Loss of External Power message never came on. I was using my Garmin power cord to run the unit.

Is this being caused by vibrations? Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
mine did similar ,try download update from Garmin web site. It installs new firmware with
updates , go to support then unit software updates.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called Garmin today & they're shipping me a new power adapter. I checked the software update & I'm using the most recent version.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran the unit yesterday w/o the adapter & after 20 odd miles, the GPS shut off. I turned it back on & after about 30 seconds of riding, it shut off. I did this about 3 times, then switched batteries that were recharged that morning. Still the same result. I put the GPS in my pocket for about 10 minutes then put it back on my mount. It never turned off for the rest of the ride. Temps were just below the freezing mark.

One final note, the low battery power warning has never come up before the unit shuts off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My Legend Cx shut down twice on the way from SSM to Searchmont. It happened twice in about a 15 km area. After I turned it on the second time, I continued up to Wawa, and through Dubreuilville, Chapleau, and back to Searchmont. No problems for almost 1000 km and 3 days. I get to the same spot between Searchmont and SSM on the way home and it shuts down again, twice. This has to be more than coincidence since it was fine for almost 1000 km and 3 days , then shuts down in the same spot. I was using the 12 volt adaptor also along with fresh batteries. I never got the "lost external power" message either, although I know that isn't the problem since I get that message everytime I remove the GPS from my sled and it doesn't turn the unit off. I haven't checked for software updates yet. I will be doing that today.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've never had the legend cx shut down on me without me telling it to or the one time the batteries did die on me. I have the eTrex Legend CX (I'm assuming it's the same one?). The one time it lost me was under power lines, I guess there were enough there to scramble the signals perhaps?

I know there is a battery selector in the settings for the type of battery you are using, if you select the wrong one it could explain why it's not giving you a warning before shutting off. I don't know how this works when hooked up to a power adapter.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I've got a solution. I wasn't the only person w/ a shutting off problem. Here's what was posted on another site where I posted the question:

I had a similar problem with my 60csx shutting off on the trail. I started to get suspecious when it started to shut off at generally the same place in the trail each time. I am running the Topo software and as it turns out, I was moving from one map segment to the next, the gps had trouble processing this, and shut down. Happened a week later on another trail. Sure enough, travelling from one map sheet to another once again.
[/b]
Toyotajoe, you hit the nail on the head. I checked my tracks & sure enough both days that I had problems (w/ & w/o the power cord) the unit was shutting down near where I was crossing from 1 map sheet to the next. I was using the TopoCanada software as well. I'll call Garmin tomorrow to mention this to them.[/b]
Glad I could help! I spent an afternoon out riding just to try and resolve this problem. Tried zooming out of the map page, having the GPS on another page, and a bunch of other things. Nothing seemed to work. I had my map detail set to "most" and changed it to "normal". GPS didn't shut down the last time I went.[/b]

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I contacted Garmin & got nowhere. The person I spoke to said it was probably a vibration issue since I was snowmobiling. I told her I had read on the internet where people (not sledders) also using 60Csx units & different software were having their units shut off when they crossed from 1 map to the next.

She did say there is an issue w/ 60Csx units "locking up" going from 1 map to the next.

If you are having this problem, contact Garmin.

Maybe if they see that a number of people are having the same problem they'll do something about it.

Check out this thread:

Click me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts