Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bash: Our snowmobile budget is taking on some changes this year.....Holy Crap, oil is 98/barrel and not going down anytime soon they project.

It's definetly going to mean a" finagle of funds" personally around here. A little less funds for modding perhaps, or sharing room costswith others, or alot of 1 day runs, but the price tag to fill two sleds up is going to be significantly higher this winter. :bash:

Snow4

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I here ya snow4...your right I'm hearing 1.25 to 1.50 a L.T. :cussing: for gas this winter .....hold on for the ride... :bash:

Rick :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
if it gets to high just pump and sled away they will never get ya. Stick it to them.

J.K I could never do this although I dream about it.

·
10,054 Posts
honestly, people pulling away from the pump without paying will be something big this winter,,,

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Terri and I are coming up in February for two weeks of riding and we expect to spend about $2000.00 for fuel for the trip. Last year we spent less than a grand. This is crazy.
The problem is, who in the hell is getting all this oil money?
Richard

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
you guys are luck i have to run premium min, usaully ad a litle octane boost, and 110 in my sleds. 3.50 a gallon probably this winter for 93 and like 8.00 for 110.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'll take the higher gas prices as long as we get good snow. Doesn't much matter if prices are low when there's no fun reason to burn gas.

I'm sure many folks in the world think Americans are totally crazy anyway for, besides having cheaper fuel, also running inefficient two-stroke motors.

I wonder if they'll even make a fuel efficient, fan-cooled, reliable snowmobile?

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
I'll take the higher gas prices as long as we get good snow. Doesn't much matter if prices are low when there's no fun reason to burn gas.

I'm sure many folks in the world think Americans are totally crazy anyway for, besides having cheaper fuel, also running inefficient two-stroke motors.
I wonder if they'll even make a fuel efficient, fan-cooled, reliable snowmobile?[/b]
One would think fuel in Alaska would be considerably cheaper than in the states because you are pumping it right out of the ground.
I would love to come up with another form of energy that would require no oil use at all. That would teach the gready buttheads.
Richard :cussing:

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
One would think fuel in Alaska would be considerably cheaper than in the states because you are pumping it right out of the ground.
I would love to come up with another form of energy that would require no oil use at all. That would teach the gready buttheads.
Richard :cussing:[/b]
I would expect the exact opposite. They're pumping crude, not gasoline.

·
Registered
476 Posts
OK, let me step on to my soap box. Caution, the following is a mix a facts and a few wild a## guesses, so react accordingly. Crude oil is a world wide commodity, that is a fact, so keep that in mind. Alaska produces crude oil, but I guess it has few refineries. Oil flows to the cheapest route, and I have heard a large portion of Alaska crude goes to Asia, as is a shorter route to from Valdez to Tokyo, than Kuwait to Tokyo. Since the west coast has the refineries, I'll bet it a good chance the gasoline sold in Alaska is probably from crude oil pumped in Mexico. At first that doesn't sound right, but I'll bet it's close to that. Price? The producers of crude in Canada, US and Mexico, can all pump crude for much less than $90 a barrel, last I heard at $40 a barrel they can all make good money. That, my friends, is the reason domestic (and foreign) oil companies have been reporting insanely large profits lately. I hear you say, if crude oil companies in Texas and Alberta can produce oil for $40 a barrel and still make money, why don't they refine it at that cost and send it on to the US and Canadian public? Because oil in a worldwide commodity, they can and will sell it to anybody for the highest price they can get. Sorry, that's the way it is. I just read that China is thinking of rationing petroleum to their public, because they can't get enough. As you have heard China is buying all the oil the can on the spot market to keep the world's fastest growing economy going. That reason, and maybe India, is the reason the world price for crude may go over $100 soon. Refining capacity, or lack of it ( like no new refineries in the US in the last 20 years) also keeps the price of diesel, gasoline, and heating oil higher that it should be too. I often hear politicans in the US say if vehicles we buy and drive got better gas mileage, the price of gas would go down. Not a chance, in my opinion, we could all be towing our 300 cc 4-stroke sleds with a Yaris, and the price of gas will still be $3.50 a gallon next year or more. Maybe a worldwide recession could bring the demand down enough to bring the price of crude down, but do we really want that?

Sorry for the long rant, I drive alot for work, and I'm getting a little miffed about spending $35 a day for fuel, epecially on a car that gets 29mpg. Hmmmm......... maybe a hydrogen peroxide powered sled..........it could happen!

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
OK, let me step on to my soap box. Caution, the following is a mix a facts and a few wild a## guesses, so react accordingly. Crude oil is a world wide commodity, that is a fact, so keep that in mind. Alaska produces crude oil, but I guess it has few refineries. Oil flows to the cheapest route, and I have heard a large portion of Alaska crude goes to Asia, as is a shorter route to from Valdez to Tokyo, than Kuwait to Tokyo. Since the west coast has the refineries, I'll bet it a good chance the gasoline sold in Alaska is probably from crude oil pumped in Mexico. At first that doesn't sound right, but I'll bet it's close to that. Price? The producers of crude in Canada, US and Mexico, can all pump crude for much less than $90 a barrel, last I heard at $40 a barrel they can all make good money. That, my friends, is the reason domestic (and foreign) oil companies have been reporting insanely large profits lately. I hear you say, if crude oil companies in Texas and Alberta can produce oil for $40 a barrel and still make money, why don't they refine it at that cost and send it on to the US and Canadian public? Because oil in a worldwide commodity, they can and will sell it to anybody for the highest price they can get. Sorry, that's the way it is. I just read that China is thinking of rationing petroleum to their public, because they can't get enough. As you have heard China is buying all the oil the can on the spot market to keep the world's fastest growing economy going. That reason, and maybe India, is the reason the world price for crude may go over $100 soon. Refining capacity, or lack of it ( like no new refineries in the US in the last 20 years) also keeps the price of diesel, gasoline, and heating oil higher that it should be too. I often hear politicans in the US say if vehicles we buy and drive got better gas mileage, the price of gas would go down. Not a chance, in my opinion, we could all be towing our 300 cc 4-stroke sleds with a Yaris, and the price of gas will still be $3.50 a gallon next year or more. Maybe a worldwide recession could bring the demand down enough to bring the price of crude down, but do we really want that?

Sorry for the long rant, I drive alot for work, and I'm getting a little miffed about spending $35 a day for fuel, epecially on a car that gets 29mpg. Hmmmm......... maybe a hydrogen peroxide powered sled..........it could happen![/b]
I could not agree more. What grinds me is the total lack of concern for the public that needs the fuel yet does not make a 100 grand a year. But, it is a world commodity and the evil doers will do whatever it takes to make MONEY! Why the US has not lowered the speed limit to 55 mph again like in the 70's is beyond me. In the US oil demand is actually down .06% but it has had no effect on prices.
There is no respect for the American public, or any public, anymore and all that concerns anyone is "MAKE MONEY" and screw anyone and everyone! Come on, are the oil companies not making enough profit and when is enough enough!
Richard
"Last from me since I get too worked up" :whatever:

·
10,054 Posts
If we continue to pay the higher prices,,, doesnt matter if we are bit*()ing or not, they will continue to take it a little higher.
A few years ago gas went over 3$ a gallon here for about a week,,, people went nuts,,, but they got us used to it because we are sitting here paying over 3$ a gallon right now every day with no problems. They will spike it to 4$ around here and then drop it again,,, make things look good and then it will sneak right back up to 4$ a gallon and we will sit here paying it.
You all see the email of not buying any gas on a certain day,,, then you see another that says not to buy gas from the biggest company for one day,,,, people really think this can be done, but it cant. Take a look at all your gas companies that are not branded. They are buying the cheapest fuel off the rack everyday,,, when your BP rack is the cheapest because they get boycotted, they will sell it to your Walmarts, Meijers, etc... they are still moving the gas and these companies wont be lowering their price,,, they will be enjoying the profits.
I think the answer is finding another source of fuel that is readily available and every john doe can run in their own car. It is pretty evident that we wont be getting into the huge oil reserves in Alaska,,,,

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sorry for the long rant, I drive alot for work, and I'm getting a little miffed about spending $35 a day for fuel, epecially on a car that gets 29mpg. Hmmmm......... maybe a hydrogen peroxide powered sled..........it could happen![/b]
Anyone that drives 320 miles round trip to work everyday needs their head :bash:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
God you Americans whine about gas too much

You guys are still not paying what we have been paying for 10yrs

·
Registered
644 Posts
It's true that Alaska can and was selling their crude to Japan- I think- for more than selling it in the US. However, since most Americans don't understand how the oil market works and belly-ached about sending it overseas, Alaska voluntarily made the decision to sell it domestically. (Perhaps that was partly to try to influence opening new reserves - politics IOW.) Regardless, most of our oil ends up in California, I think, where it is refined and sold. We get our gas from companies who barge it from "down there" to "up here" and we pay whatever they can sell it for here. In Anchorage and other major centers, that means not a lot different than in the lower states. In rural, roadless parts of the state, the prices are quite a bit higher (but they don't generally fluctuate based on current market prices like they do where the supply is more regular.) Thankfully, the $5 / gal prices we paid last year didn't rise over the summer as many of us feared. I can affect my gas costs by driving less. What is hard is burning much less fuel for heat. Heating fuel costs bite.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
God you Americans whine about gas too much

You guys are still not paying what we have been paying for 10yrs[/b]
.98 x 4.5 = $ 4.41 that's all.....that is nuts eh....what can we do we need the right answer please...they have us...

Rick :D

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
It's true that Alaska can and was selling their crude to Japan- I think- for more than selling it in the US. However, since most Americans don't understand how the oil market works and belly-ached about sending it overseas, Alaska voluntarily made the decision to sell it domestically. (Perhaps that was partly to try to influence opening new reserves - politics IOW.)[/b]
You want to know the funny part? Thanks to NAFTA, we couldn't decide NOT to sell out oil to the US if we wanted to, and we can't even ask more money then we get domestically.
Such is the way of a global economy.
Oh well, for the most part it's a positive thing, and if fact, the only thing that scares me about the upcoming change of regime south of the border is that hte Democrats are sure to be more protectionist then the Republicans are.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
You want to know the funny part? Thanks to NAFTA, we couldn't decide NOT to sell out oil to the US if we wanted to, and we can't even ask more money then we get domestically.
Such is the way of a global economy.
Oh well, for the most part it's a positive thing, and if fact, the only thing that scares me about the upcoming change of regime south of the border is that hte Democrats are sure to be more protectionist then the Republicans are.[/b]
They don't want our lumber, so maybe they'll stop importing our oil.

·
Registered
644 Posts
While that fact may affect the price of lumber, I suspect that as global as oil is, the price of that would stay high, a US market or not. :(

1 - 20 of 65 Posts