Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question ..... do you guys close your gas valve on the sleds when traveling ? My dealer told me this could fill your block full of gas & pipes is this true ?  he told me that on newer sleds they have an auto shut off . What do you guys think

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have seen the cylinder mount flanges broke off of Electric start sleds because of this,so if you have a shut off valve use it when you trailer it .

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I never use it except for summer storage.  

I saw a friend blow an engine last year by forgetting to turn it back on.  He started and blasted down a runway and when the engine ran out of gas it burned the pistons and rings.   He was dumb to go and run it cold like that but im the kind of person who might forget to turn the valve back on so i just leave it on.  

I have trailered almost 6 hr every weekend and never had a problem so i am going to stick with it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Its the same with all my buddy's. They don't touch them due to the fact they might forget about it and burn down the motor

·
Registered
167 Posts
im with mxz7 if your needle and seat are working right no fuel can enter the engine if it isnt working right you would know it the engine would be running rich all the time and you would be fouling plugs like craze if you dont have these problems then dont turn the valve off

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well every one seems to believe those valves are ther for nothing!?
And contrary to popular belief a working needle & seat won't always stay "sealed", temps, trailer angle, bouncing floats!, iced closed tank vent!, can all cause "leakage". Of coarse it doesn't always happen but when it does just being hard to start is the best symtom you might end up with, "hydro lock" & bent rods from trying to start your motor filled with fuel are wurst case(not very common but I've seen it happen&#33

Yami's are supossed to have a fuel pump that seals?, with out vacum, maybe some of the other brands are also using that style pump & a petcock also?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I fully believe that you should shut it off for the reasons mentioned, but I must just be too lazy, as I never have shut it off.  

I might regret it someday, but no problems yet.

FishHog

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
If I think of it I shut it off, but most of the time I never do.
Don't you guys run your sled then shut the fuel off and let it run out of gas for summer storage? Or do you leave fuel with stabalizer in the lines all summer?

·
Registered
393 Posts
i allways shut the fuel off on my mach z. i had a plus x one time that the floats stuck on it and it gravity fed and ran a ton of fuel out the overflows. our new 800 mxz doesnt have a shut off, i`d feel better if it did

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The new sled all have fuel pump and are not gravity fed.  you cant get hydrolock and bend rods will just the fuel in the carb boal.  

During winter storage i alway shut it of and let it idle till it dies.  But i fill it with stable before so the fuel that passed through the carbs have it in.  

As for trailering Well i trailer all the time and on diffrent trailers.  Fuel never shut of and i never had a problem.  Infact my 98 mxz doesnt even have a shut of valve.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
If I don't shut the fuel off in my 670 when I trailer I have to pull forever to get it to fire. Especially on rough roads.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See the reason I ask is because when I brought the sled in for service , '' for no spark '' The guy told me the block and pipes where full of fuel , and they where .... and when the sled was running the rpm's would drop you have to stay on the gas or it would stall , and once it done that you could pull and pull and the thing would'nt start .... ! pull the plugs and they are wet .... no spark .... change them still no spark . But if you grab a plug and pull it over ... it has a little tingel to it ..  

1 - 16 of 16 Posts