Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of gas (octane) are u running in your snowmobile??
Regular or supreme????

Some on told me that if u run supreme which is a higher octane level that the skidoo may run hot…

What is the deal with this???
i use supreme..

·
Registered
372 Posts
I run two tanks of regular, and then a tank of premeium. But I heard if you switch like this it is'nt good for cars...is this just because it's fueld injection?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Question,
What octane can i safely run in my stock 96 Polaris Ultra 680?
Wayne

·
Registered
105 Posts
In my 2003 mannual it states that if you are unsure or think your below 91 octane , you should select regular from the prem/reg on your fuel select switch..

don't know if i makes a big difference or not I haven't had much time to ride and find out ..... :confused:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Use what is recommended. My Phazer takes 87 octane. Using 91 will only waste horsepower and money, because the engine is not set up to deal with the higher potential for detonation that comes with higher octane.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Originally posted by performancex@Jan 28 2004, 03:51 PM
Use what is recommended. My Phazer takes 87 octane. Using 91 will only waste horsepower and money, because the engine is not set up to deal with the higher potential for detonation that comes with higher octane.
Higher octane reduces the potential for detonation. Higher compression and more timing advance increases it.

But you are right that it's a waste to run higher octane than required, unless the sled might be sitting for a long time, as gas will lose octane during storage, and could drop below your minimum requirements.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ahhhhh,

I always love getting into this one!!!!

#1. Lower Octane (87) is what should normally be used for most machines such as your touring, low performance sleds.

#2 Higher Octane (91+) is what should be used on the higher end wanna-be race sleds. These are ones that have the H.O. engines in them, slightly higer compression, different timing curves, etc.

Stay away from any gas that contains any types of alcohols, unless it is Isopropyl as it will actually 'lean' your mixture out. Most companies, (Sunoco) use up to 10% grain alcohols in their Ultra 94 gas.

The higher the octane, it will RESIST detonation. Lowere octane detonates earlier and actually will run like a deisel with higher comp. engines.

If want more info....just PM me or post here!!!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
higher octain fuel burns colder. unless your running a higher compression motor or advanced timing, i'd stick with what is called for, cuz if you gain any, it will be slight, and can rob you of horse power. my self, i run VP C-14, 114 OCTAIN. but my 600 indy improved stock has around 180 pounds of compression. does'nt run good on anything less. plus it gets to hot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I run regular (just a 550) not that mutch dif with hi-grade. But as mentioned before the engine will run cooler with high octane, and this is good on mild days. Higher octan will burn faster in the cylinder quick explosion and the compressed gases will push the piston down. Lower octane will burn slower, this slow burn will last longer and heat up more of the cylinder wall as the piston travels down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts