Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gear case oils are you guys using. I have 5k miles on my orginal oil. Thinking its about time for a change. What weight oil / brand. Thanks

I also am gonna be replacing my wear strips.. Anyone know where i can get the tool to help remove them or got some tips.

Thank you for you help

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
If you're talking chain case oil all I use now is ATF. Works great.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
80w90 synthetic or semi synthetic

Time to take the rear suspension out

inspect it properly and its easy to pull the sliders off

I recommend graphite sliders they are only$2-3 more then regular

Rebuild your shocks and replace bearings if needed

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just use the OEM chain case lube and it seems to work fine. As far as a tool to remove your hi-fax's, just go to AutoZone or any other auto parts store and look for a dent puller. Basically it is a slide hammer type tool. If they have extra screws for the puller, make sure to get those. I seem to break them all the time. I think I paid $15 for the set up and it works super.

·
10,054 Posts
I have to agree with fb,,,, with that many mile on it, its time to pull 4 bolts and work that suspension out from under it and go through it. Might want to check out the front suspension while your at it if it hasnt been hit.
As for chaincase oil, I would say to change it every season. I run amsoil synthetic chaincase oil in my 2 newest sleds yet I put valvoline synthetic 80w90 in my others and have no problems,,, I am probably paying more for the amsoil, but it makes me feel better,,, lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Probably not a bad idea to pull the chaincase cover too. Sproket bolts tend to loosen off, and chains links will break. Pull the sprokets and chain off and give it a good look-over. As for the skidframe, take it out. You'll probably need a bit more than wear strips at 5K miles. Change your chaincase oil every season. Put in the type and grade of oil that the manufacturer recommends.

·
Registered
743 Posts
What gear case oils are you guys using. I have 5k miles on my orginal oil. Thinking its about time for a change. What weight oil / brand. Thanks

I also am gonna be replacing my wear strips.. Anyone know where i can get the tool to help remove them or got some tips.

Thank you for you help[/b]
Just use the OEM chain case oil. By the way, I would change it at least every other year.
What special tool are you talking about to remove the sliders. All you should need is a screwdriver.

·
Registered
580 Posts
and a hammer... are the hyfax set up differently in a firecat than a ZR? I can swap hyfax even with the suspension still in the sled in about 15 minutes. ..... most of which is looking for the dam hammer..

I do recommend pulling that skid though. I'm sure you'll find a bunch of bearings need replaced. Also, at 5k miles might be agood time to look at those drive shaft bearings. There's a long thread about their failure around here somewhere.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Shocks ever rebuilt????(should be every 2000miles or every other season

speedo side bearing changed???

at 5000miles lots of stuff can start to need attention

1 - 9 of 9 Posts