Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I fixed my chaincase oil leak problem. First thing I did was purchase a new gasket (about 2 bucks). Then I got to thinking that everytime I filled it up, I would spill a little, and that was probly what was leaking. So i installed the new gasket, and cleaned everything up. Looks fine now! I didnt really have a lot of oil, so I do need to get some more, How does the AMSOIL series 2000 synthetic chaincase oil work?? Its only 5 bucks vs. 12bucks for bombariders stuff.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
The Amsoil IMHO is far better than the OEM overpriced skidoo stuff.

Chaincase thread

This should help ya out ,Permafrost

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK! thnx frost. I just bought 2 bottles of it for 12 bucks w/ shipping. LOL thast cheaper then 1 bottle of skidoo stuff not shipped.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I'm with Perma on that one. The more I use amsoil, the more I like it.

I'm glad your getting your problems solved.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after listening to u guys about calming down if something breaks, and taking my time on something, I notice how much better things get done!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have always used ATF. Same thing we use in vehicle 4X4 transfer cases as they use the same style of silent chain. ;)

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I used the Amsoil chaincase oil last season. It has a lower pour point than the Klotz stuff. I have no idea what the pour point of the 'doo oil is.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
im going to try some energy release,i used oem oil and had lots of metal on the magnet,i think ill try the amsoil with a couple ounces of ER..i have 2 brand new gears this year so i can compare to the old ones after the season

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I know what you guys are saying about amsoil having a lower pour point, which is good, and we have a similar discussion going on in another thread too. The nice thing about Klotz is the graphite in there and how sticky it is. So it should stay adheared to some of the gears most of the time. Plus if the pour point really is -25°F then how many of you really ride in that temp anyway. Maybe with a windchill factor. But the coldest I have ever seen it in any of Michigan is about -15°F. and I wouldn't suggest doing much in that temp. Maybe its just me. So that's my 2 cents. :p

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Originally posted by rfmckee@Oct 23 2002, 06:51 AM
But the coldest I have ever seen it in any of Michigan is about -15°F. and I wouldn't suggest doing much in that temp. Maybe its just me. So that's my 2 cents. :p
Don't be a whimp. :p

Two years ago, the thermometer at my cottage said -35C or -31F. Damn that was cold. It was hard starting the sleds that morning I tell ya. The electric start just laughed at me when I turned the key.

We were taking warm beer from inside the cottage, and setting it out for 5 min. Perfect drinking temp. Any longer and you had slush.

FishHog

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by FishHog+Oct 22 2002, 01:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FishHog @ Oct 22 2002, 01:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--rfmckee@Oct 23 2002, 06:51 AM
But the coldest I have ever seen it in any of Michigan is about -15°F. and I wouldn't suggest doing much in that temp. Maybe its just me. So that's my 2 cents. :p
Don't be a whimp. :p

Two years ago, the thermometer at my cottage said -35C or -31F. Damn that was cold. It was hard starting the sleds that morning I tell ya. The electric start just laughed at me when I turned the key.

We were taking warm beer from inside the cottage, and setting it out for 5 min. Perfect drinking temp. Any longer and you had slush.

FishHog[/b][/quote]
Yeah, I know.
But I bet you didn't stay out long in that temp. That is just to darn cold. Plus your in Canada. I pretty much ride just in Michigan.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Not to get off the subject, but it isn't uncommon to see it -20 in northern WI. One year it was about -25 and the dashboard in my buddy's blazer cracked right across the middle...covered by warranty. Personally, the colder the better as long as there's no wind, it's a guarantee that the white stuff won't go away any time soon. I start getting bad vibes when that temp hits the upper 20's and the sun's trying to poke through.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use synthetic multi weight oil in my chaincase- Never had a problem and I've ridden in -40 F below zero. I've used Mobile 1 and Amsoil. Never have used the Ski Doo stuff. :hallo2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts