Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to both of these things, i just lowered my top sprocket by 2, so instead of a 24/43 setup (01 mxz 600) ive now got a 22/43 setup. what do i need to do for clutching (i just bought a goodwin clutch kit and am going to put it on soon) to make sure i get the right RPM and everything, and get maximum performance from the whole setup. so my question is what do i need to do to get everything running optimal??

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
#Moved to SkiDoo

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Goodwin kit is an excellent kit.  For dropping down 2 teeth on the sprocket why are you doing that?  The 600 can easily pull that gear ratio unless you are running super tight trails or snowcross and don't want anythiing for the lakes.   Also by putting a smaller sprocket in you are putting a bigger bow in the chain and losing hp.  Run a 24/44 the 44 will give you more drive axle torque.   Did you buy the Slp pipe yet in another post.  I would save my money and by a rkt head. It is the best mods to do to the series III engines.  Finally do one thing at a time.  Put one item on and test you are then able to pin point and work on problems or notice gains received.  Seen too many people bolt on pipes, head, reeds then clutching and there sled runs worse then stock and they don't know where to start from.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sledcrazy, I have never owned a 600 BUT, that is a huge gear reduction. You may want to go back to stock unless your looking at 500 foot racing use. For trail riding, you will be geared too low. Also, where do you live? I would like to work on fixing your problems if they are not so serious you need a complete motor/electrical overhaul. I leave the really serious wrenching to ZMan..... but I'm a pretty good tuner/tweaker.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I run 23/43 on my MX6 and it runs fine (seems to pull stronger than stock gearing).  I agree that 22 top does create quite a bow in the chain.  In the end I guess it all depends on where you plan to use it and the rest of your set-up.  I have heard in many instances where Doos will actually run faster on top after a slight gear reduction (allows the clutches to shift into overdrive more easily).  I will be running a 1.25" track this year and so will stay with my lowered gearing.  good luck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Through 2 gm. in the front and 2lbs. in 2ndry ( PRELOAD)
22/43 WILL GET YOU close to 90 mph @8000 rpm in a 1to1 clutch ratio. the lower gear you run the more you can rely on overdrive doo is 1to .83 this should be close to 100 mph..IMHO.
LOW GEARS are a lot of fun trail riding!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what diff clicker settings give diff speeds??  like what is setting 1, 2, 3.... and so on.  i know there is settings 1-6.  what is 1, and what is 6??

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
you can change your rpms with the clickers,if your ok on#3 and cruising down the trail,then you decide to do some powder and you are under-reving,you can click to 4 or 5 to gain rpms,if your over-reving on#3 click to 2 to lower rpms,its easy to do

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thnx pantera.  so i should put one thing on a time and go from there then huh??  right now i have only my reeds on.  so im just gonna do a test day and see how it runs, then put the pipe on and jet that and clutch and so on, then put the clutch kit on and dick around w/ that to get it running good.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
forgot to mention ,every click should change rpms by 200

1 - 11 of 11 Posts