Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 mxz 700, I want to drop the top gear down from a 25 to a 23, to get more low and midrange. How much top speed will i lose? any idea what top speed will be at with 23/43 sprockets? any one ever done this with good results? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
On some sleds, gearing down can give you more MPH. I can run more top end MPH on my 800 with the 26 than with the 27.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You will not lose more than 5 mph in general dropping down 2 teeth from whatever was stock, some sleds doo pick up a little almost always with 1 tooth  but going down 2 depends on the sled.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Go down to the 24 tooth and put in a 50/46 helix from Goodwin set on B-6.  You will be very happy.  No loss in top end whatsoever and better acceleration.  My 2000 700 that I sold to a friend of mine keeps right up to my 02 800x.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just in case any one is wondering I did the gear swap it's the best $25.00 I spent on this machine yet. You get more track spin of the line, but you would'nt believe the difference in the acceleration. not sure on the top end yet. Also picked up a race manual the stock ratio lists a top speed of 120.3. How is this possible?

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is theoretical top speed.  That is based on calculation with no slippage.  Reality is you probably have about 10% slippage on snow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts