Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I looked at it 4 months ago and it appears to be broken[/b]
It does not work with firefox but I just tried it using IE7 and it works for me. It also works with IE6 for sure. I don't know what the problem is but it's been this way since I first tried to use it.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I have a copy in Excel if someone needs it[/b]
Link me up ;) I need an offline version.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It is probably going to take some time to find it. give me a couple of days.

SWWebmaster has it also, maybe we could post it somewhere to download?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
We used to have a gearing formula somewhere on here that Dave Beam made up for us. Does anyone know where this is or was? I can't seem to locate it?[/b]
I thought you had a race manual, it is in there. I know you can do math :whistling: .

·
Registered
93 Posts
That calculator gives some bogus numbers unless it doesn't work for older sleds. at 1:1 final with it's 20/39 gears at 9000 rpm 13 tooth cogs it puts my old Blizzard at 143+ mph it's fast but #### it ain't that fast. am i missing something?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Yeah that was it, but it still puts it at 111+ still a bit fast[/b]
Well that means your gearing is too high. It does not mean you will be able to get to that speed, it means that *if* you have enough engine power (which I doubt) your gearing will allow that top speed. Does it really have 13 tooth track drivers?

Anyway, what you ideally want to do is set your gearing to what your engine can actually pull. That way you get a lot more torque and still reach your true maximum speed. The only way to truly do this is test test test with many different gear combos in the snow conditions you expect to ride in most. If your gearing is too high your clutches will never ever fully shift out (because it doesn't have enough power to reach that speed) and so you lose efficiency there too by reducing your effective gear range (from the clutch). Reducing your gearing will also give you a stronger engagement, less belt burn, and more pulling power assuming you have enough traction to handle it. It puts less total load on the clutch making its job easier. I would say geared to 111MPH you are wasting some of your potential power. But I don't know the power to weight ratio of your sled...maybe on ice it can do 111.

My gearings are in my signature, but keep in mind they are set up for moderate to deep powder and not top trail or lake speed. And I'm running much heavier paddle tracks that need a lot of torque on engagement to do what they are supposed to do.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
We used to have a gearing formula somewhere on here that Dave Beam made up for us. Does anyone know where this is or was? I can't seem to locate it?[/b]

THE FORMULA THAT BEAM MADE IS THE ONE THAT I DRINK ALL THE TIME.HOPE ALL IS WELL IN K=ZOO.ALL IS WELL IN MONROE,MI.
THE BOSS :lmao:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts