Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally going to gear the sled down, but everyone is telling me to gear up. I have the sled engaging at about 5000 rpms. stock gears are 22/41, i was told to go to a 23/40. I am just curious as to how much speed I will lose on the bottom end, and will the sled still be snotty on the trails. I know i will have to play with the clutching if i change the gears. Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else or should I not do that.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
23/40 might be a bit to tall for that 600 to pull and still get an awsome hole shot. If the 600 revs around 7900 and you are geared 22/41 your top speed should be around 92 mph. I think gearing 23/40 on such a small sled will kill your hole shot. try gearing 23/41 first cause it will make a big difference and if you are engaging at 5000 rpm your hole shot wont suffer at all because your getting lots of track spin   ........MAKE YOUR CHANGES ONE TOOTH AT A TIME

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey Sled-Head! It sounds like you may done some gearing in the past. Here's a question for you. I have a 99 600 ZL carb and I'm trying to fine tune it ( make it run good and still have decent mileage).  The mains have been lowered two sizes, I have a modified BM clutch kit that gives me a good hole shot but provides a lower RPM at cruising speeds. I'm wondering if a slight gear change may be all I'm missing. My engagement is around 5200 and cruising speed (45-50mph) rpm is around 6500. What does gearing up to 23/41 do to the out of the hole performance? Midrange? And the top end? Does it improve or hurt the gas mileage? I would think it would help. Thanks in advance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts