Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody messed with the gearing with this sled? Just curious about results if anyone has. I'm going to gear my down just to try it. Stock it has a 24/40. went to a 22 on the top. It should really rip on the bottom end and midrange and thats what I want. Got to take advantage of the new studs. The 98 xc 600 has 22/40 gears stock. That's why I thought I would try it in the 700. Any comments or suggestions? :hallo2:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Your right to lower the ratio on that sled.

Polaris always overgears and you never get full potential of stock sled.

In fact, your sled was WAY over geared. Just to compare apples to apples. The 99 XCR 700 (ves) used the same ratio of 1.67 but puts out MUCH more hp that your twin 700. The stock XCR also overrevs your twin.

Also, more recent models of the 700 xc use 23/39 or 1.7

For your horsepower range, you will be very happy with a 1.81 ratio, this is what I was running on my XCR 600 (125 hp)

I was very happy with it, it pulled very-very hard.

You can probably be equally as happy with a 22/39 (1.77) This is what I will try this year for a few runs.

good luck

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Looking forward to running it with this setup. Can't wait for the snow
!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you do alot of trail riding and can find a friend with some spare gears, try going down two sizes on the top. I did with mine and it was a blast. If you don't like it then you haven't spent anything yet. Had to play some more with the clutching too because of the awesome pull the gearing creates. Hang on and have fun. :0:

·
Registered
185 Posts
good advice...
I'm riding a VES 700 and going to gear down one size also
As for helix/spring combos
check out daltoindustries.com

the guy is the real deal...
Just email him what type of riding you do and he will get back to you with suggestions

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just geared down my 02'XC 800. I was having the dealer check my chain case gasket for a leak and told them to drop the gear down while they were in there. They ended up changing the bottom gear from a 40 tooth to a 41. I was surprised they did not change out the top gear maybe because of the reverse. Any ways took it out on the grass when I got it home WOW can't wait to hit the snow. With a little more clutch work I think this thing will pull hard. I would definetly go down at least 1 tooth on your 01 XC 800. Some people told me to go down 2 teeth I went with 1 I'll see what that does to my gas mileage if it's not too bad I might try dropping 2. Good luck.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my 22 top gear from a swap meet for $15.00. I'm going to try running 10-62 weights and a 50/36 helix. The springs I got from erlandson. They are the one's they recomend for my sled. Can't remember the rates off hand. The secondary is a erlandson purple and can't remember rigt now which one is in the primary. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
You should be right on track. The 10/62's should let your sled hang on a steady 8 g's. If it can't you may want a stiffer secondary. Check it out and see what happens.

·
1,327 Posts
Originally posted by yotaholic@Nov 4 2002, 08:17 AM
I was surprised they did not change out the top gear maybe because of the reverse.
When making a gear change like this, its always better to go larger on the bottom gear instead of smaller on the top gear.

The chain can turn around the larger gear with less effort and you get less parasitic(sp) horsepower loss.

It's basically the same principle behind running larger Idler wheels on the back of your ski, the track does not turn as sharp so you lose less hp.

I have tested this on motorcycles in the past. Same bike with identical gearing ratio, one test with the small top gear the second with the larger bottom(rear) the second test would pull 2 more mph on the top end then the small top gear.

Hope this helps out a bit

DP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts