Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well i currently own a 92 prowler special 440 and i am a college student so 1) i dont want to spend a TON of money and 2) i always love to get the best bang for the buck. so my first question to start off is...

is there something i can do with either the muffler or that box that the muffler connects to other than buying an aftermarket piece to either A)increase the noise level a little bit and/or B) gain some performance out of it?

second question is, my snowmobile isnt as snappy as some other snowmobiles i have ridden, now i know that its not brand new off the lot or anything but its really similar to the non firecat models. its really similar to alot of the zr's zrt's and others from the mid to late 90's. so im wondering what i can do to make it more "snappy" i hear there are those reed vavles or whatever? but mine is just carbs and non FI.

and last question is are those little k&n filters you use to replace the stock air box really that beneficial?

thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I owned one of those sleds years ago. I liked it, but, a 15 year old 440 is not going to compare to a late model 440 no matter what you do.

Assuming that that the engine is good, (Good compression and properly adjusted carbs), The first thing I would do is Clutch work. IMO that is where you get the most bang for the buck. After that, maybe pipe, but that will usually require doing some carb mods.

You may have some difficulty finding a pipe for that sled, and it has always been my philosophy to keep the older engines stock. No matter what you do, you will never get it to go like a Thundercat, so concentrate on getting the stock engine running it's best first, then try some clutch work. Leave the engine mods for last, and be carefull there or you could end up with an engine that doesn't work at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts