Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,
I am getting back into the sport after not haveing riden in many,many years.I need a alittle advice on what type of sled and equipment to pickup.I'm looking for a sled that can handle a passneger on the back from time to time.Most of the snow here in WNY is wet heavy lake effect snow.I will be buying something used to not to old 2001-2006.I'm guess for what Im looking for will need some power,as I'm a fairly big guy (6'2 230)and looking for a sled that I can have a second rider on.I appreciate any help I can get.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
For the most part the sleds now are for one person, unless you pick up a 2 up? I have a 06 Fusion 900 and you can't put 2 on it. I know it's not much help but I can't think of a sled other than a 2 up that will handle 2 people, with you being a bigger guy that makes it even harder. :blush:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sounds like a 2 up sled is what you are looking for. I wouldn't go any smaller then 600 liquid. Some people might think that is to small but the newer 600 will surprise you. What brand of snowmobile do you like or do you care. Myself I like Ski Doo. I ride with 3 guys that all have 05 GTX limited 600sdi. This sled will hold 3 people, the rear & middle section of the seat can be removed or the middle only. This will give you more storage at the back. If you like doing trips they come with saddle bags that are like a hard plactic that lock in place. (no straps & soft material bags that blow apart). I see you are 6'2 some say to stay away from the REV if you are over 6'0. The GTX has 5-6 more inches of leg room then the MXZ.
Thw GTX limited has all the toys & you might find that is to much. The GTX sport is almost the same sled but with less options & is only a 2 up
If you go on www.skidoo.com you can pull up any model back to 97, with all the specs & info :D
I can't tell you much about other brands but I know that the newer touring sleds are leaning towards confort. Myself I stay away from them because I would fall asleep. When I rode my friends GTX I almost fell asleep because your body just molds into the seat like you are sitting on a couch :sleeping:
I think if you go on any of the brands web sites you should be able to pull up info on the previous years.
Hope this helps you out :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
i have a 99 ski doo grand touring 800,its a 2 up with air ride suspension reverse and electric start. it has a ton of power the suspesion works great for 2 people as you can adjust it for the weight difference. my wife has the same except hers is a 700 and as far as power goes not much of a difference. we are very happy with both the performance as well as the very smooth ride they give.and the best part is you can usually find this type of sled fairly cheap used.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The Ski Doo REVs have a 1+1 seat that you can add to a single seat REV. This would let you get an MXZ or GSX. You bolt some hard ware onto the sled and then the extra seat can be taken on or off very quickly. If you are out by yourself riding with the boys, you can leave it behind, or if the wife decides she wants to come along, you snap it into place. The only thing is you cant get this seat for an X-Package sled. They have a little better shocks and a different handlebar setup. I agree, probably dont want anything smaller than a 600 liquid for the 2 0f you. Another thing I would suggest is a Renegade. They have a little longer track. It would be a little more stable for 2 people. As far as other equipment, the clothing has come a long way. By her something good that will keep her warm and she will be a happy camper and that will make your life easier. :cool:

·
Registered
903 Posts
I would suggest a 600cc sled as well.

Personally, I would get a 04-06 MXZ/GSX 500SS (which is a 600cc). The engine in that sled is bulletproof and it is in the very comfortable REV chassis. You could add the 1+1 seat easily.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would suggest a 600cc sled as well.

Personally, I would get a 04-06 MXZ/GSX 500SS (which is a 600cc). The engine in that sled is bulletproof and it is in the very comfortable REV chassis. You could add the 1+1 seat easily.[/b]
I second you Droptop, the GSX series is great for a two-up ride. Nice and smooth for the trails, and enough power to with the 500ss to keep up with your buddies at least from 0-80mph.

-Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts