Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are here in SW Washington at the base of mount St Helens. Every winter I see all the folks headed up to ride and since its only about ten miles away I think its something we would enjoy. I want to find something to keep us happy during the long winter season much like our boat does during the two months of summer. I usually buy new toys, I hate to take on someone elses problems. Im very picky when it comes to my dirt bikes and boat and would be the same with snow toys. Questions.

New or used? Like I said I like new but am open to suggestions

What sizes or models?. We are in a mountain setting and I think its mainly trailriding up here. We do get large amounts of snow somewhere in the 25 foot or more range. There are four of us actually 5 but baby will only watch for now the kids are 14 and 10 . We all have dirt bike experience and love being outdoors.

That should get me started, thank you in advance for any help and I hope to be able to contribute to the forum soon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We are here in SW Washington at the base of mount St Helens. Every winter I see all the folks headed up to ride and since its only about ten miles away I think its something we would enjoy. I want to find something to keep us happy during the long winter season much like our boat does during the two months of summer. I usually buy new toys, I hate to take on someone elses problems. Im very picky when it comes to my dirt bikes and boat and would be the same with snow toys. Questions.

New or used? Like I said I like new but am open to suggestions

What sizes or models?. We are in a mountain setting and I think its mainly trailriding up here. We do get large amounts of snow somewhere in the 25 foot or more range. There are four of us actually 5 but baby will only watch for now the kids are 14 and 10 . We all have dirt bike experience and love being outdoors.

That should get me started, thank you in advance for any help and I hope to be able to contribute to the forum soon.[/b]

hey, next time you're in Bellview or greater seattle, swing by the dealers and check out the Ski-doo Summits 600's and the Artic Cat m6. I live in and ride the Coast Mouintain range ( Squamish, Whistler , Pemberton ) and I ride the Summit 800 144 track. But my first sled was a summit 600 with a 136 track. the 600 136 track was a really good starter sled. A 14 year old would be able to handle that kind of sled and you (dad) would have a blast on it too. But for yourself you would probly want a 144 track. All the mountain sleds are one rider sleds but doubling is no problem expecialy a 10 year old. I strongly recomend getting into sledin' with the family. My wife, who is a very girly girl , she even love's it . But ya, stick with the mountain sleds, don't go for a trail sled because of a deal. Here in Pacific North West, were the snow is heavy, wet and comes in big dumps, trail sleds just don't get you where you wanna be.

your niebour from across the border

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Welcome to the site and your new addiction. LOL

Here's another site that has just the type of information for beginners (and any sledheads) that you're looking for. It's maintained by an organization of all 4 main sled manufacturers to generate interest in our beloved sport.

http://www.gosnowmobiling.org/

Great info there including 1 rental location in Washington. Not sure how close it is.

MOUNTAIN SPRINGS LODGE, INC.
19115 CHIWAWA LOOP
LEAVENWORTH, WA 98826 509-763-2713

Given what your families current pastimes are, I'm sure you will all love sledding but you may want to consider renting first before you spend you children's inheritance. :lookaround:

I definitely agree that you'll want long track sleds. 136" to 144" will do for starters. That way you can trail ride easily enough and still play in the steep and deep. Anything longer and it'll make trail riding more of a chore. Then you can decide how much you will ride off trail and what sleds make the most sense.

As far as new or used goes. That debate is the same no matter what you're talking about. Sleds, bikes, boats, trains planes or automobiles. The value drops quick when you drive off the lot, but that does come with a sense of peace of mind as far as a warranty goes and somewhat fewer problems related to sleds with higher mileage and age on them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts