Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to get my arse kicked by my brother in laws F7. So I am looking for help. My sled is a stock 02 MXZ 700 no DPM,it has 120 studs down the middle.Rider wieght is 250 lbs.

I want to know what combination of clutching/gearing has worked.What belt has been better for top end? As far as piping it,I dont want to go that route. I would like to jet it down a size or 2,but what octane gas do I have to run then.Any other tips would be appriciated.

dooman,ronzx9,kid rocker,TT670,Zmachman,MXZWFO,GLH,Idooski your input will help me .
 Thanks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
MXZ7,

I think all of us have a different clutch set-up.  I also am a firm believer in the 127 belt for top end.  A setup that I share with other's is 298 ramps, 250-410 spring, 54-48 helix, beige b-6, 24-44 gearing, 1.25 track, 120 studs in the middle, clicker 2.  This setup was good for 107 on radar in fair conditions.  Email me private for other choices.

GLH

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I only worry about 500 feet or so. so top end is not my game.I like my stock sled with one tooth up on bottom.I run boyesen reeds ,great for throttle response.clutching,I run goodwins stuff.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
mxz7, I don't really think you have a chance against a F7, but Damon has given you a very good baseline clutch setup.  Remember he has a dyno, and burns a lot of rings in the process of trying to help others.   The tra will "lay down on top end"   The twins are not good top end runners.   The Cats, and the Polaris sleds will kick most of the Doo's butt on topend, except for maybe a triple.  Talk to Damon about clutching, obviously I don't know that much about clutching or twin pipes.  LOL... Piece out.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Dave do I detect a little animosity from you?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Barry, "not at all".   The defination I have for animosity is:  strong hatred, ill will, open or active hostility.   I have thought about a lot of information that has been posted on this sight, and in my opinion, a lot of the information is totally not true, therefore, I am not going to post that much anymore.   I  am just a nice guy who likes people, and knows when to be quiet, so quiet I am.   I have decided to go into retirement.   Piece out.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
MXZ7, don’t let Kid Rocker fool you. He knows how to get a 700 to run...LOL. What I would look at first is to get the track to spin as freely as you can. Friction will take away from the top speed of any sled. Add as many "boogie wheels" as you can to the skid. Also make sure that everything is in as close to perfect alignment as you can. Run the track as loose as you can with out it ratcheting on the drivers will help the top speed also. As I set everything up in the track area, I take the drive belt off the motor and spin the secondary by hand. As you free up the track the secondary will start to turn easier and easier. This is one way to find out if you are going in the right direction.
After you have got all of this done start looking at the clutching. You will be surprised in how fast your sled feels with out "adding" any horsepower to the engine. The key is to get the horsepower you have to the ground.
I am working on a few different things on my MXZ 800 for this year to try to get as much HP to the ground. I will post my results as soon as the first snow flies that I can get it out on.

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts