·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 MXZ800X with DPM. So far I have;

- studded the track with 144 1.075 60 Deg. Gold Diggers
- installed a B&B ELiminator Trail Silencer
- installed a set of V Force Reeds

I like the sled it handles very well on the trails and has plenty of grunt down low which of course is arguable where you need it most. I am disappointed though with the top end of the machine. I ride alot of lakes as well and it just isn't there at the top I would be willing to sacrific a little of the trailriding capabilities for a few MPH up top. I have considered a clutch kit but not sure which one and even then am not sure it will give me what I want. Does anyone out there have any ideas as to another setup. P.S. I am @170 Lbs

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have worked extensively on these 800's , the biggest improvment you can make is to replace your spring in your driven w/ a white wind up spring and go out and test it as far as preload. start at around 18 lbs. and go up from there using a 0127 belt.get it just tight enough not to slip , then if you know your going to be draging your buddys put a 8607 on it. also i want to mention, do not run either one of these belts hard until they have 50 break in miles on them. this should get you around 118 on your speedo on a good day and about 112 any time you want. replacement of both springs should be done every year because they sack out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I do not have the spacer would this make a difference also who makes them/sells them??

Thanks for the ideas...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ghostrider, the 02 800 X has the RER secondary with a compression spring - not the older wind-ups.

I totally agree with the belt break-in and spring replacement ideas!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got my reed spacers thru Bill Cudney. YES....they made a difference.
I also agree with using the belt mentioned above. It does make a big difference!
I havent tried this but apparantely running an exhaust restrictor helps the performance of the 02 800s. The 02s have a different pipe than the 01s and when dynoing an 02 800 with an 01 pipe the horsepower was increased.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
296 Posts
ghostrider i had a question regarding those diffrent belts you were talking about....is the 0127 a ski doo belt, is that the part number? also you recomend the 8607 belt for lake runs. is this also a ski doo belt?...i have an 02 mxz8x with the same symptoms...i have the stock belt whichever that is, i will have to check.
im thinking maybe my buddy with his 02 mxz8 sport has a diffrent belt since he is about 5-7 mph faster on top....
i put in the updated secondary spring, im wondering if im going to notice anything with this?

·
Registered
261 Posts
yes, i know the 800's have a hpv 27 w/ a compression spring and I'm telling you if you have an 800 take the compression springs out and throw them as far as you can. and put in a skidoo white wind up spring and go out and test it . I'm running about 28 lb.s of preload but my drive clutch is set up pretty aggressive. testing it w/ preload settings is the key, this engine is very fussy on tension on the driven and helix angles.also the belts I mentioned are skidoo belts. and if you don't break both of these compounds in easy ,you wreck them and thier junk. try to run the least amount of preload w/ out slipping the belt on the big end. test w/ the 0127. also reed spacers are a must for any 700 or 800 series 3 the only problem w/ the hpv 27 when you put in a wind up spring is if your sled has reverse , when you go to back up it will make a clank noise that is annoying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ghostrider.

My machines does have RER which I forgot to mention. I can live with a clank sound but will it do any damage to the machine?

I appreciate everyones comments on this topic.

·
Registered
328 Posts
ghostrider, this white spring does it have a part number? or can I ask for a white spring and get the right one? I don't have rer. What has been your experience with reed spacers that they are a must? thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
The white spring is the same one they put in the 01 800,s and now i think thier using it in all the non hpv 27 clutches. reed spacers open up the little transfer boost port on the rear of the cyl. and really cleans up the bottom end on7's & 8's try it and you'll be suprised at how crisp the engine will be

·
Registered
32 Posts
Question for Ghostrider:

I've never had the RER secondary apart to look at it, but I didn't think you could just interchange a torsion spring with the compression
spring??

Are you saying that you can just take the stock compression spring out and install a white torsion (wind-up) spring in its place? Is there a key hole for the helix and shaft like on the formula secondary? Are there existing holes in the stock helix and clutch sheeve? If so, are they numbered? If so, what number hole do you use to get 28lbs of preload?

Thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
YES there are holes and you can either use the ones in there or drill new ones in the helix. as far as the hole to get a certain rate i just keep measuring it i don't pay much attn. to the # yes i'm saying put the wind up spring in a hpv 27 I 'm not sure what your asking about the key hole but the hpv 27 has a splined shaft instead of a key way, alot easier to take apart and put back together

·
Registered
261 Posts
up until the rev and the exception of ck3 all the skidoo belts are the same except for compound and also of course the 0127 is a top cog szam, the reed spacers are sold by a bunch of different co.s they move the reed block back from the cyl. about 3/16 of an inch to move the reeds from blocking the rear boost transfer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want to thank everyone for thier suggestions especially Ghostrider I am going to try both the spring change (with exchanged belts) and the spacers for now and see how it works I hope to report back the improvement. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts