Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAS ANYONE TRIED RUNNING HIGH COMPRESSION AND RETARDED TIMING TO PUSH HEAT IN THE PIPES? WOULD THIS MAKE SENSE? JUST CURIOUS.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thats interesting but one would have to assume that you just want the pipes to reach therir max operating temp fast but not necesarily  any hotter as there would be better ways  of increasing the gas velocity than with just heat as in changing the chamber design, but I suppose if you were going to have to use the stock pipe... that might be a different story.. but the benfits of increased timing I would think would out weigh the the increased pipe temp...I wonder now is there a maximum practical pipe temp for most pipes that where if the temp is increased behond that it wont have a practical effect on velocity? Somehow I think Mr. Glh might have some input on this.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I WAS THINKING THIS MIGHT BE SOMETHING TO TRY FOR DRAG RACING. ADVANCING THE TIMING WOULD KEEP MORE HEAT IN THE CYLINDER WOULDN'T IT? IF RETARDING THE TIMING AND RUNNING LETS SAY 15 1/2 TO 1, WOULD FUEL BE AS IMPORTANT A FACTOR AS WITH ADVANCING AND HIGH COMPRESSION?

·
Registered
333 Posts
What model of skidoo are you planning on racing and what length of track are you planning on running.Yes retarding the timming will raise pipe temp but it is probally not the best method for short  tracks like grass racing. The best(well kept secret) is to weld an insert into the stinger after the main body of your pipe, someone like Bill Cudney or Power house racing could tell or sell you the right size reducer based on the lenght of the track,(smaller makes more heat but will make too much for trail riding or radar runs)

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's not so much the pipe tempature that counts, It,s the match between the port timing, pipe length, and the rpm. Dino

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have '98X with Split Second twin pipes, EGT, mild trail port. I run at all elevations with 100 octane av gas(cheaper than c-12 and in my case works well), the timing advanced all the way and I've never had any problems with 4000KM on the sled, however I can't run straight 92 octane gas, I need the extra cooling of the higher octane fuel.  If I run pump gas I can watch the EGT climb.  I believe the comp on the sled is 13:1.  Advancing the timing adds about 6hp on the dino

1 - 6 of 6 Posts