Snowmobile World banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been in very, very few stucks that I couldn't get out of with a shovel.

Last year, while riding at Lost Lake AK I had to dig a hole that was big enough to park a car in, just to get out. Once I got down to traction I drug the sled over to it and then built a ramp out, packing it with a shovel. My buddy's couldn't find me I was so deep in. I sat down, had some water and some beef jerkey to let the snow set up and then just rode right out.

We ended up digging a 100' long ramp on that same ride to get a guy out of a one way gully. It's amazing how much powder you can move with that little shovel.

I have even gotten unstuck and headed up hill with a shovel. Just dug all the snow out from around the sled, scooted the track over and filled the trench, packed it all down and rode right out.

See the common thread here? SHOVEL!! I never ride without one and I very rarely even attempt to lift my sled..it's hard on the back.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i agree aksummitx,after my years of sledding i finally realized last year the benefits of a shovel,i dont like lifting either,it is so frustrating trying to dig a sled out with just your mitts ???

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
If you have the right mitts it's not too bad. I wear these huge mittens that come up almost to the elbow. They're great for scooping mass amounts of snow because I can get my whole forearm involved.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
doesnt matter if your mittens go up to your neck,its hard to clear the snow ,all that happens is you build a hill 1 foot beside the machine then when you move its starts falling back in it,thats whats nice about the shovel ,you can actually get the snow out of the way :p

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
oh thats sounds funny performancex "mittins" LOL you wear mittins when you ride, it just hit me funny. :p

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by jwheeler@Oct 14 2002, 05:35 PM
oh thats sounds funny performancex "mittins" LOL you wear mittins when you ride, it just hit me funny. :p
HEY MY GRAMMA MADE THEM FOR ME FOR CHRISTMAS SO SHUT THE HECK UP!!!!

Just kidding. What do you call them, then? Just mitts, I guess? They're not gloves--gloves have four fingers and a thumb. They're not choppers, because they're not buckskin or anything similar. They're just bigass nylon-thinsulate-whatever mittens!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts