Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 86 indy 400 motor i was thinking about putting on a go-cart frame.  the only thing that i was wondering about was the liqiud cooling. i was wandering if i could put a car radiator on it and if it would work? if not what would work? thanks

·
Registered
959 Posts
well first of all you had to beat me to it didnet you  hehe i have a old ac440 that i am gonna do that to.. but  you can get anything to work.. you could put the car radiator on but  why wouldnet you just leave the one thats on there and use the polaris one that way you wouldent have to mess with stuff... but yeah it could be done i dont think it would be to hard... what size car radiator are you gonna use...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt think i could use the one thats on the sled because its just those things under the running boards that dont seem much like a radiator but i may be wrong. would they work?  i was going to use a radiator of a '90 hyundai excel but i dont know how big it is. thanks

·
Registered
959 Posts
yeah they should work as long as you have a spot to put them  so that they can get some wind to stay cool... or i would go for the car one   if you have a friend or friends that like messin around with stuff like that make it a weekend project  it shouldnet be to hard.. besides the tube sizes making them all fit cuz the car hoses will be bigger inch i think and the sled is prly about half inch

good luck when you finish get some pics i would like to see how it turns out

danny

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bizzar, I think you are right the sled heat exchangers would not work in the summer with air. They are made to work with water/snow to cool.  I was also thinking of make a go-cart w/a sled motor, using a Honda Odessy. But first I need to find a Honda Odessy. I would use a car radiator, any thing from a small car should work fine. converting hoses shouldn't be too hard. I would make sure to hook up the temp light.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I would personally recommend using a radiator out of a Suzuki Samurai.  The rads in the 90 excel are rather large, IIRC.  The ones used in the Sammy are quite small, which should make for easier mounting.  They should still have more than enough surface area for adequate cooling.  Question - do the water cooled snowmobile engines have water pumps in them?  I ask as my tractor does not, and it is liquid cooled.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey I wat at a automotive swapmeet last year ans saw a old golfcart with a polaris twin in know that is a cool pit cart.I think I would go to the junkyard and look around for some small rad or try to get one off of a dirt bike or old streetbike my ninja had a good size one and they also have a cooling fan mounted to it. good luck jeff in nh

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wolfman, yes snowmobile engines have the water pumps built in, at least every one that I have seen. But the old Polaris motors don't have a thermostat.  I don't know if this will be a problem.  I have heard that the coolant dosent have enough time to cool.  I would not use a dirtbike radiator, they aren't very big.  But a street bike radiator with a fan built in sound good.  You should be able to find these at a junk yard for a resonable price.

·
Registered
561 Posts
We built a 440 polaris fan last year ..... let me tell ya that thing ROCKS !!!!  I think a bike rad and a fan will do the job for you .... good luck !!! Oh ya and one thing ...... put a manual brake on the drive shaft so if the chain falles off you still can stop ..... hahaha    " don't ask "

·
Registered
625 Posts
Use and old heater core or two out of a car for "radiators" they will work very good, especially the newer tubular type cores.

·
Registered
110 Posts
boy some of you guys are inventive. I would agree with useing a crock rocket rad or one from a baby car to do the trick. I guys your car frame would have to be fairly strong and large to be able to handle that engine. I was going to make a go carte with my old 79 polaris 500 triple liquid but I thought that would be to crazy to hold on to. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts