Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm going to be putting in crank bearings in my 76 Exciter 440 this summer. Anyone have any tips before I start?

A buddy of mine, who used to work for FAST(Blade snowmobiles), told me to put the crank in the refrigerator before I put the bearings on. Said that the bearings just slide on and don't need any pounding or anything. Then, when they heat up, they set themselves.

Thought that tip might help some people.

Any tips for me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
When you put the crank in the fridge it also picks up some moisture which will appear when the crank thaws (usually inside rod bearings). A recommended way is to warm the bearings up to about 150 degrees in mineral oil (2 stroke or motor oil will do), then drop them onto the crank standing up. I have seen rusted rod and center bearings created from the freeze method, if you choose that way be sure to use lots of water dispersant

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise! What if you put the crank in the refrigerator, heat up the bearing, and then let everything thaw and cool before you put it in the case? Won't the moisture be gone by then? I have plenty of time to work on this this summer, so I'm in no hurry to get it done.

Thanks

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts