Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally found a motel where you can ride from the room. It's on Gun Lake just outside of Wayland MI. I've been on fishweb.com but it's hard pin point a report in that area. Do any of you SW members live there or ride there that could tell me what the trail conditions are like? We'll be going up tomorrow afternoon and staying till Monday. It's kind of funny, we got hit with a ton of snow here in Indianapolis, but once the streets are plowed, our ride is over. Unless you know some one with alot of farm land. I don't. Any help here would be appreciated by my family.

Thanks again,
snow_bone

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in the Wayland area and while there is alot of snow the trails are getting pretty beat. We have only had a trace of about an inch or so of snow in the last week so the trails didnt recover as nicely as they should have. I also have a lake house near south haven, mi. I would recommend sledding there instead, there is a great trail system and you could get a room somewhere and sled up to gobles and what not. They have recieved about 8 inches of snow in the last couple of days and its snowing very hard there right now. The trails will be in the best shape there, the further north the more beat is my guess. Southwestern MI is getting hit the hardest.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Sorry, Gobles only received minor amounts this week. We were slated for 8+, but it only turned out to be about 2-3 inches total.
The best snow conditions in this area is still North toward Allegan, or South toward Niles (and they got pretty good snow from the system that went through Tuesday). The trails are pretty beat, but still good for this area. Also, road side is getting bad no matter where you ride.
We are expected to be in the high 30's next week, so I would be prepared for EPIC traffic this weekend as everyone tries to get their last rides around here in.
They may hold for another week or so, but it doesn't sound good.

Polarisstud, how do you get to the trails from South Haven? I know the Kal-Haven runs up to the Black river, but they are really cracking down on snowmobiles past that area, I heard they were ticketing for any sleds within city limits? Just curious.

snow bone, did you try the Sunset Motel in Allegan? I know they have door to trail access.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can't really get to the trails from the Cal haven trail that i know of. We are actually on Paw Paw Lake so we trailer over to Coloma High School and the trail starts there. They got quite a bit of snow there this week and the rodes definitely looked rideable but that is in Coloma / Watervliet area, not sure about anywhere else, but I drove up 196 this morning from south haven to Grand Rapids and the highways were covered in snow pretty much all the way to Holland exit, it was snowing hard.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just got a new sled (pick it up Sat) and want to go riding next weekend. Where would you suggest I go? Gaylord, Cadillac, Traverse City, Etc??? Thanks for the help!

Shane

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
The Mancelona / Kalkaska area is always prety nice, easy access to the trails from all hotels. The Blue Bear has alot of traffic, so it gets rough quick. But alot of 2 tracks to go Boondocking on. The trail system is prety large, you can ride all the way to the Mac from there.

I am heading that direction in a few hours.. Good luck this weekend

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well I finally found a motel where you can ride from the room. It's on Gun Lake just outside of Wayland MI. I've been on fishweb.com but it's hard pin point a report in that area. Do any of you SW members live there or ride there that could tell me what the trail conditions are like? We'll be going up tomorrow afternoon and staying till Monday. It's kind of funny, we got hit with a ton of snow here in Indianapolis, but once the streets are plowed, our ride is over. Unless you know some one with alot of farm land. I don't. Any help here would be appreciated by my family.

Thanks again,
snow_bone[/b]
I'm from the club that grooms the Wayland area. Though I've yet to ride the local trail this year, I did drive by yesterday and would say it's not worth the drive. I'm not sure if it's the same motel, but years ago we had a hotel owner refuse us permission to have the trail cross his land. Sounds like someone who does not want any business from snowmobiler's. The Allegan area has a new set of problems, I would stay on the highway and keep going north.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts