Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to look at this snowmobile tonight. Owner says it has around 1200 miles on it and some extras (like a HPS can). He also said he would throw in the small trailer. Thoughts? This will be my first snowmobile purchase and any insight will be appreciated. Thanks. See URL for the listing:

http://reno.craigslist.org/car/363958706.html

·
Registered
903 Posts
That is not a good first snowmobile. WAY too much power and weight for a beginner. Look for a 600cc sled. The price is good, but the Summit 1000s (like the Machs) had a few first-year issues. If you were a seasoned mountain rider I would say go for it. But even some seasoned mountain riders prefer the lighter 800cc.

Let's start over- Have you ever ridden before? What sled? How (and where) do you intend to ride? What is your price range? etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is not a good first snowmobile. WAY too much power and weight for a beginner. Look for a 600cc sled. The price is good, but the Summit 1000s (like the Machs) had a few first-year issues. If you were a seasoned mountain rider I would say go for it. But even some seasoned mountain riders prefer the lighter 800cc.

Let's start over- Have you ever ridden before? What sled? How (and where) do you intend to ride? What is your price range? etc. etc. etc.[/b]

Thanks for the reply. Basically, I was considering that sled due to the price. I would probably prefer an 800 Summit with a shorter track (~150). I grew up riding an Arcticat Cheetah and Cougar mainly on trails but a little bit of powder as well (what they could handle). Im confident I could pick up mountain/powder riding (which I want to do) fairly quick... of course I would take it easy to begin with on a newer, powerful sled. I would prefer around the same price range as this sled (~6k or less). I did get quoted for a brand new '07 Summit 800 w/ 153" track for $9200 out the door. Would the additional weight and length of that 1000cc sled be that big of a difference?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Would the additional weight and length of that 1000cc sled be that big of a difference?[/b]
Oh yes.

06 HM X 1000 162- 549#
06 800 X 159- 478#
08 800r X 163- 434#

Trail riding with extra weight is one thing. Mountain riding (then getting stuck, which happens) is another.

To be honest, I would look at an 800 Renegade (136). It is very capable in the powder and also a nice trail sled as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes.

06 HM X 1000 162- 549#
06 800 X 159- 478#
08 800r X 163- 434#

Trail riding with extra weight is one thing. Mountain riding (then getting stuck, which happens) is another.

To be honest, I would look at an 800 Renegade (136). It is very capable in the powder and also a nice trail sled as well.[/b]

There is quite a large price difference between this 05 and an 08...

·
Registered
903 Posts
There is quite a large price difference between this 05 and an 08...[/b]
I should have clarified. My bad.

I compared the 06 800 vs. 06 1000 (they are mostly unchanged from 05, minus a weight reduction; 05 1000 is 15 lbs. heavier than 06 1000) because those are the only years I have the specs for in front of me (so it would be apples to apples). For 06 the 800 lost 20 lbs.

I just threw in the 08 because you said you were quoted $9200 for an 07, so I figured you would be somewhat interested in an 08, because the Everest 154 model is the same price (msrp$9500) and is significantly lighter. I compared the Summit X weight to make sure we are talking apples to apples equipment-wise.

Most of the reason for the weight difference (between 1000 vs. 800) is because of the chassis. The RT is built to hold the 1000 (and is an overall bigger, heavier chassis) than the REV.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Like Droptop said, the 1000 motor has had a few issues since it came out in 05. There has been updates for it every year. Some people have gotten them running really well but have put a lot of time and money into getting it to run well. From what Ive read and heard, they arent really consistant and they havent been the most reliable motors either. Dont get me wrong, some guys have had good luck with them though. Ive read alot about the 1000, I was wanting a Mach Z bad, but now after sitting on the XP, thats my new sled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have clarified. My bad.

I compared the 06 800 vs. 06 1000 (they are mostly unchanged from 05, minus a weight reduction; 05 1000 is 15 lbs. heavier than 06 1000) because those are the only years I have the specs for in front of me (so it would be apples to apples). For 06 the 800 lost 20 lbs.

I just threw in the 08 because you said you were quoted $9200 for an 07, so I figured you would be somewhat interested in an 08, because the Everest 154 model is the same price (msrp$9500) and is significantly lighter. I compared the Summit X weight to make sure we are talking apples to apples equipment-wise.

Most of the reason for the weight difference (between 1000 vs. 800) is because of the chassis. The RT is built to hold the 1000 (and is an overall bigger, heavier chassis) than the REV.[/b]

I checked out the 2005 tonight and it was definitely a big sled. I think I'll go with something shorter. I got a quote for a 07 Summit Adreniline 151" for $9200 out the door, and a 144' for $9100 out the door. Do these sound like decent deals? I may be able to get a better deal on an Arctic Cat M6 or M8.... The tag price on the M6 was $7800 but that was without tax. Would I notice the difference between the 151 and 144" tracks?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I checked out the 2005 tonight and it was definitely a big sled. I think I'll go with something shorter. I got a quote for a 07 Summit Adreniline 151" for $9200 out the door, and a 144' for $9100 out the door. Do these sound like decent deals? I may be able to get a better deal on an Arctic Cat M6 or M8.... The tag price on the M6 was $7800 but that was without tax. Would I notice the difference between the 151 and 144" tracks?[/b]
Those don't sound like too good of deals, especially since a new chassis and motor are out and they are a year old. The MSRP on an 08 Summit XP (like Adrenaline) 800R 146 is $9600.

The 07 800Rs had more than a few problems...mostly clutching. That wouldn't stop me from buying them as I hear BRP has a once and for all fix.

Between a 144 and 151, it depends on what you want to do. 151 will obviously climb higher, but will not play as nice in a field and is not nearly as trail-worthy as a 144. If you ride at all on trails skip the 151. The 144 will be just okay. As I said earlier, the 136 is a peach on the trails and is surprisingly good in the powder. A few members on here own them and I'm sure they'll chime in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you ride at all on trails skip the 151. The 144 will be just okay. As I said earlier, the 136 is a peach on the trails and is surprisingly good in the powder. A few members on here own them and I'm sure they'll chime in.[/b]
chime......

I've had 2 136 Renegades and they handle the trails better than a 121, IMO. As far as powder, I have had no problems yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts