Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my primary clutch weights out and have thought about possibly drilling a hole or two to reduce the weight. I have an accurate gram scale. Currently my weights weigh in at 58 grams. Is this a good or bad idea. And if good where would others recommend drilling the holes? I see on the heel clicker weights they have holes near the top of the weights.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think you would be ok drilling the wieghts out if you have an accurate scale. But I do believe that the weights are hardened. Which will be very very tough to drill.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Actually, I think that weights are sintered which means they could be hard (like ordinary chaincase sprockets), but not necessarily tough. Whether they will drill or not is a question easily answer on an old weight. I think bigger issue may be found in keeping them balanced. Taking weight off accurately and evenly is more critical the farther from the pivot point you go.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Unless you have a really firm understanding of clutching, I would recommend against it. Location/size of those holes super critical. Also, weights in grams could be identical, but if hole locations were not also, you could get into an out of balance issue pretty easily.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I agree with everyone else. It's going to be tough to do right.

I've heard of people grinding their weights, either to reduce the weight, or to notch them for a higher engagement, but have never heard of anyone drilling them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
[attachment=33437:weight_M.JPG]

Weights can be drilled. You need to go to a tooling supply place and get special carbide bits, I used Hi- Roc brand. They are very expensive.

This was my attempt to copy the Heel clickers when they first came out. These were in a Comet 102C that was on a free air 500 motor, mounted in bike frame. Engined turned 8800 rpm, and did a best of 11.51 @ 112mph. I was very happy with the way they worked.

If you are not a machinist, please don't attempt to copy this. I don't want to be responsible for someone getting hurt. !!!

Bike weighed 350lbs, and would ride the bar for at least 20ft. out of the hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Your better off purchasing a lighter set. Like the others said unless you have equipement like a bridgeport or equal you won't be able to drill them correctly. If you try to grind them they need to be ground with the same identical geometry.
Weights are actualy a complicated design even though they look simple in form.
Just spend the few bucks. In the end you will be doing it anyway whether you have someone do it or attempt it yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts