Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this may have already been discussed at one time on here, but cant find it. I was wondering if anyone out there is using the Goodwin heavy pin set and if so, have you noticed that the pins hit the casing/housing near the tips of the ramps?

I'm assuming this prevents full shift out?

Any cure?

Thanx

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes it can happen, depends what ramps your useing, i'm not sure on all the ramps that could possibly hit, but the easiest way to find out is put your pin through your roller and slide it up your ramp all the way and put it on a low clicker number this will tell you.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i asked goodwins about this they told me if your running the heavy pins dont use clicker #'s 1 & 2 the pins will hit :angry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just put mine in a lathe and put a heavy chamfer on the ends on the pins where they hit, or you can grind the govenor cup a LITTLE for clearance.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
On the instructions that come with them they say not to use the clickers below 3, because they will hit.

If you want your Rs to go down cant you just add more weight?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ill have to check mine,im on clicker 1 and still running 8000-8200,im also not shifting out all the way...3/4 inch from shifting out fully,running 21.6gr,im going to order some 23.5 or 24.5 pins,so i can click back to 3 or 4 and see how that works,my instructions never mentioned not to run on 1 or 2 clicker..

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I put a set of heavy pins in a sled recently, and they said do not go under 3 when using 300 and 301 ramps.

Pantera - What spring are you using? Put em back on 3 and see if the RPM drop, if so, it is beacuse the pins were hitting the cup.

Also, my factory tach vs. my digatron on my 2001 MXZ800 is 200RPM off at 3000 RPM. My sled always ran it's best running 8000 RPM on the tach. Also, what 2ndary setup are you using? Belt slip any?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i tried on clicker 3 when i 1st put them in and revs were up to 8500rpm,so i clicked to 1 but i didnt realize that with the 300 ramp to not go lower than clicker3,secondary is at a2,im had pm'ed big john and he had said to go with heavier pins or go to a 100-170 spring,im running a 130-200 right now,in theory if i put 23.5 or 24.5 pins and click to 3 or 4 i should be ok.especially that i know i cant run below 3 now...thnx mxz800 :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting - I ran my clickers between 3 and 4, never 1 or 2, and still have the marks of contact being made.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I lied - I just remembered I went down to #2 while using a used spare belt last year. It was just for 20 miles or so, but I imaging it doesn't take but a few runs to make the contact marks!?!

·
Registered
677 Posts
i ran the goodwin heavy pins with 21.6 grams and had my clickers on 4 or maybe 5 and i was raceing my buddy and my belt blew at around 100mph, well right befor my belt blew i heard a loud snap from what sounded like my clutch. when i lifted the hood i could see aluminum flakes all over the place, i was super sick when i saw that. when we got home (i had to get towed home by a cat,very embarassing) and i took the primary off and opend it up i saw that one of my arms had snapped in half and that the pin had been rubbing badly, only that one there were no marks from the others.i dont know why it did this i checked the length of the pin and it was exactly the same as the others. Oh ya has anyone ever blown a belt going 100mph or faster, it really makes a mess my motor looked like i went through a ditch full of cattails.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
paidncash: that makes me nervous. Im new to the whole clutching game and recently had 800MXZ install those in my 01 MXZ 800 and I run with clickers on 3. I sure hope something like that doesnt happen to me. Sorry about your luck also by the way. Did you ever figure out why the heck it did that? bad cotter pin or something? something else loose in clutch? Im just trying to make sure that type of thing isnt going to happen to me.

Later

I know the instructions say that 3 and up is fine though and not to use 1 and 2.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Holy Cow Boys!! Sure as $hit stinks there were the marks!
I must say, that was some fine engineering on the Goodwin boys part!

So I break out the the heavy set I ground off .100 on the solid end from my old sled and add a couple more short screws and there we have it, pins that dont hit and shift out the same!
Gee, maybe my sled will have a little more top end instead of feeling like it hit a wall after 100!
You guys with broken arms that had heavy pins might have a case here, my buddy that broke his and destroyed his engine will be happy to hear this........ ;)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
mikadoo what had you been running your clickers at?

And also what was your buddy with the ruined engine running his at?

I just want to make sure Im not gonna trash mine.

Maybe I should contact Goodwin, maybe not?

·
Registered
677 Posts
MXZonly,
I have no idea why my arm broke or why the pin was rubbing, i know the directions said to make sure the last set screw wasn't sticking out to far past the end of the pin( i forget now what the length was) and i made sure it wasn't. I really had to crank on it to get it in far enough in fact i rounded off my allen wrench thats how hard it went in. Very poor design if you ask me i haven't heard anything good about them. I was lucky i didn't scatter the motor when the damn thing broke, i was going a touch under 100mph and when it let go the tach on the ol' MACH Z went out of sight, i'm lucky i didn't spin the bearings. If i were you i'd take them out and try a solid pin that is the same grams.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
MXZ, I run mine at 3-4 depending on the weather and my buddy with the 97 Mach1 runs 4-5. I run stock 295 ramps and he runs stock 286.
I must have old directions because it say's nothing about not running below 3.
I ground off 0.100 off the end and miked them to the same exact length.
There is about 0.50 clearance to run any number you want this way.
Talked to my bud today and he said Doo covered the blow-up because he JUST had the motor rebuilt from the PTO bearing going out.
He was doing about 100 when the arm broke and it thru it out of balance so bad it took the PTO bearing out that quick!
Just grind the one end down or if you are happy with your RPM's then buy solid pins of that weight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts