Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the goodwin perf. clutch kit on their SKI-DOO??  if so how do you like it, and if you dont, what have  you heard about it??

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I don't have one myself, but I have heard very good things about their clutching.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
This talk of clutch kits KILLS me!! All these company's that are out there trying make a buck on us poor sledder's is a crime!
Not one company will ask you: Your weight, your riding style, the track length, lug height, mods or elevation's.
The [genaric] clutch kits out there is not for the average joe.

Just my two cents on the subject

·
Registered
556 Posts
The thing is that these companys set up the clutch kits for the factory stock sleds. As far as the only factor left the riders weight, you will not loose enough power from 175lb to 225lb rider to make a difference unless your in competition drag racing, then in that case you tune your own setup anyway. IMO these kits for the most part are a good form of modification for the individual that doesnt have the knowledge or the time to test and tune.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Did you guys know that you can call Goodwin and give them such information and they will taylor a kit to your needs? Goodwin does sell over the counter kits, but call them with exact needs and they will help you out. And the cost is the same as the regular kit.

I am a good clutch tuner myself, but have installed several of Goodwin's over the counter kits and have been impressed with them. I even bought one for the wife's XC600 since I really only own Doo clutching parts, and I was quite happy with it. The ol' 98 XC600 outruns any stock XC600 VES or XC700 VES in a 660' drag. With an supposedly "generic" clutch kit on it.

Goodwin is probably the better of the company's out there with honest results. I have put em on a couple of ZRT600s, a ZR800, and allot of Doo's. They are one of the company's with the R+D to actually test the product. I can tell you that some places (DynoPort, Black magic....) will just calculate the kits together. They never actually test them on a sled. These are the kind of places that Mikadoo are talking about.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I`ve installed a number of goodwin kits for people and though I would have to agree that  a home tuned kit is always better I would have to say that goodwins kits are usually in the ballpark for at least some improvement. Tunining a clutch can be very time consuming and if you dont tackle it yourself with trying lots of exspensive parts you might not get a better kit from even a dealer unless they can spend hours and hours on your sled or has a ton of experience with  exactly what you want to accomplish. What sled are we talking about here?

·
Registered
102 Posts
i added a goodwin kit last year was very pleased with performance hard to tell what just the kit did because i also added a dyno port silencer at the same time. the sled this is on is a 97 670 mxz .

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a Goodwin clutch kit on my 01 mxz 800 and I am EXTREMELY pleased with it.The only thing I had to do was add weight in the adjustable pins that came with the kit(18.7g).My sled was stock against my freind's 02 xcr 800 and he could not  touche me untill I top out around 112mph (I have a 1.25 track and him too).I gave him #### fits all winter long ha,ha.I have not tryed heel clickers yet wich I heard are very good but and can garantee you you won't be disapointed with Goodwin.Keep in mind that if you clutches are not well maintained or aligned proprely no clutch kit in the world will do you good.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I decided to delete my post. There is no point in cutting down someone else's clutch kits and naming names. There are good one's and bad one's I'am sure. I'am one who has never got a good one, a costly lesson for me, that is why I'am so bitter about their so call "kits". I'am just trying to save some people the anguish I have had to put up with................

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
And I have used allot of stuff from EPI  which I have been told is not good for Doo clutching. But it was  a great kit for my 98 FIII 700.

There are so many things that can determine total clutch perf. outside of weight elevations etc... Things like alignment, maint. and proper instilation can make all the difference also. Allot of people have used the Goodwin kits, and have had good results. One can tweek them and get more out of them, but the majoraty work real good. For someone who has a lack of tuning knowledge, they are #1 on my list. I havn't had anyone complain to me yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts