Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I bought the 1.25" track. How many studs should I throw in er'?, I don't want any in the outside belts of the track and I'm going to use double backers. Dealer said I should be alright with 96 but could go higher. Give some ideas.

Thanks guys- Steimy

I have a 00 mxz 700 for those that don't know.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also what brand is the best? Woody's, Saber, Stud Boy, Roetin, etc.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Go with more then 96. For a 700 thats not enough. You will wear them out or pull them out. Even for a 500 96 is understudding IMO.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Looking at the Woody's catalog, it says for a MXZ700 144 studs for Trail use, 168 for "intermediate" and 192 for Performance.

Here is a link to their Application guide for 2000 skidoo WOODY"S

They have also changed their studding patterns a little from the last few years. Less studs in the outer belt, and more in the center.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
first off how many 1.25 inch tracks have guys you studded?my dealer has been using the same 1.25 track since '00 on his ,00 700 ,his 01 800,and his 02 800 he runs only 96 studs down the middle belt and has no lost or bent studs.he only rides 1200 miles a year though.I would use woodys and start with 96.it really depends on your riding style,and conditions.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i would go with AT LEAST 144 especially for a 700, im putting 144 down the middle on my 600.

·
4,440 Posts
sledcrazy why?have you ran a studded 1.25 incher yet?I have a 470 here I bet will walk all over that 600 with 144 studs as long as they are for that track.the thing here is why are you using 1.25 inch lugs if your riding on ice were the 144 studs are going to do you good?if your using the 1.25 track you should be in snow and studs do you no good in snow.this is the reason why most guys riding the 1.25 are using only 96-120 down the middle only for braking and icy corners they are not trying to hook up with the studs thats why they bought the big lug tracks.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
yup this is why im getting an 1.25 most of my ridding is on trails and lakes or rivers. but now what about clearance this is what my concern is. i have been running a stock .88 with 144 studs and there are some spots where the studs have been touching. my studs are either 1.125or 1.250 i cant realy remember but now with a 1.25 i would need longer.i might just try it like that(no studs)..........irealy am a stud guy but want to try a deep track.last year anyhow the deep trackz realy made me :0: :cussing: ...........lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
I run a 1.25" long track, so it has a few more studs on the snow. I run a 96 pattern - which is actually more than 96 on a long track. I use Fast Track Top Gun II stainless steel studs with round plastic backers and stainless steel nuts. If you use the double backers, it'll be a funny pattern won't it? Fast Track are light weight and durable, a friend of mine who snowcrosses recommended them. I'll bet you find that you are just fine with 96 down the middle. Use the fast track round plastic backers.

·
Registered
0 Posts
144 down the middle of a 1.25" lug track on a 600???
Might just be a little over kill. ;)

I ran a 1.25" on my 700 triple last season without studs and had
no complaints. Try it without and see how it works then if you feel
the need start with 96.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Because I run my sled an ANY condition there is, I rode it on grass and no snow half the time last year (well almost no snow) And hooking up sucked ### w/o picks. 1.25" will help, but studs will make it better, I like to do powder riding, trail riding, occasional lake run (not usually), and sometmies icy stuff. so a nice lug track and studs will help.

·
4,440 Posts
well come on down to the ride this year and run,it is after all in fun.I will start with my 470 and work my way up if needed.wait on second thought I might just bring the invader and give it a try.

·
Registered
310 Posts
wut the #### is a 470.

·
4,440 Posts
now I know your a young guy,the 470 is my 87 formula mx. :thumbsup: :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help guys, I mostly trail ride agressively, and do encounter some icy corners, lakes and hardpack so I definitely want to run studs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DONT PUT ANY IN IT WITH A 1.25 TRACK, U CAN BUT I WOULDNT,YOUR STUDS ARE GONNA HAVE TO BE AWFUL LONG FOR A 1.25 TRACK AND I CAN GAURANTEE U WILL BREAK THEM.IF U WANNA STUD A TRACK STICK WITH THE 1" TRACK :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a 1.25 on my MXZX 440 with 96 right up the middle. It has plenty of hook for trail riding or snowcross. I would go with 96-120 for your set up, no more. I run 96 woody's 1.375 (if I remember correctly) and they do bend. Also, you will probably need to move the suspension mounting to a lower hole for clearance. Of course, you will need the proper tunnel protectors. By the way, I would look into a longer snow flap. My buddies hate riding behind me because the deep lugs roost really bad. Not only is it a lot more snow dust, but it has been known to pick up rather large rocks and ice balls and eject them at high velocity towards your trusting friends behind you. Broken goggles, sore chests and bleeding fingers have occurred...

I also have an 2002 MXZ 700 Adreneline with a 1" track (however, ski-doo's 1" track is not really 1", it is more like .92). I chose to run 120 right down the middle of the track. I used Roetin's new Hornet studs, with a length of 1.080. It has plenty of traction, and I even grass dragged the sled for the entire NSRA season. It will lift the skis with no track spin at all. These Hornets are the by far the best studs I have ever used, but they are one of the most expensive. I have tried Woody's Golddiggers, FastTrac Top Gun II, Xcaliber, and Saber, and Roetin. The only studs I would buy are either Roetin or Woody's. I have never bent or broken a roetin. I have bent quite a few woody's, but never broken one. FastTrac's are over priced pieces of ____! I have broken them numerous times and fast trac wouldn't do a thing about it, plus they loose their tips easily. Xcaliburs are crap. Stay away from the cheap studs...you get what you pay for. Take a look at the new Roetin Hornets, but be careful about knock-offs. I was at the snowshow a few weeks ago and saw some guy selling cheap imitations that were not in a roetin box...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts