Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some riding today, and we stopped at an old airstrip and did some runs. I ran my 2000MXZ 700(clutched, 200/320 spring,287 ramps, stock
pins(solid),50/47 cam @ B6 w/new beige and the 127 belt, gearing at 25/44,and 144 picks) against my buddies 99Mack Z(clutched,studded),and a 2002 MXZx 800(studded). I can stay with both of them out of the hole, but after about 600-800 feet they start to pull, and at about 1400ft they are about 4(but not pulling away) lengths ahead. Whats it going to take to be able to pull and couple of lengths on these sleds??? I have been told by one well known shop that a clutch kit from them(T-shift kit, plus their own helix/spring combo will give me 7-9 sled lengths in the 1/4 over stock clutching, this sounds kind of optimistic does it not?? Whats it gonna take guys?? I was thinking of this clutch kit that I mentioned, and an exhaust restrictor,think that be enough?? I like the stock sneaky look!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would try a thicker base gasket to raise the port timing. This will require a shaved head to bring compression down to stock. You can use your own head, and the base gaskets are made special for this purpose. This is said to be good for 6-8Hp. After that you can always go to V-Force reeds for another 3-4Hp. With this setup you will no longer have trouble with your buds.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is though, I don't really want to get that deep into the motor till the summer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Probably the most cost effective way to beat them is to buy a bigger sled.  If you modify the hell out of your 700 it is not going to be reliable.  Is that what you really want?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I used to have a set of 280 ramps and they worked good. If you cant get her to work than get a ZR800 and waste em good

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah, the cats are too ugly, I'm a Doo guy. As far as making it unreliable, I don't think moding it to make it faster by 5 lengths or so will hurt that much. I like this sled very much also, and don't want to trade up.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
BellevilleMXZ, I have seen a lot of posts regarding going faster, Amsnow, and here.  Why don't you try some of the setups that were posted for you?  (I am assuming that you haven't tried them).  Then you will know for yourself what works.  We can only give setups that have worked for ourselves.   You still need to test and tune, there are no magical setups.   Try some of the setups mentioned, then you will know what works.  Clutch kits will only get you close, and may, or may not improve your sled.  Testing and tuning is what it is all about, as there are no two sleds exactly alike.  That is why most clutch kits are fairly expensive.  The people selling them have a lot of time invested testing and tuning.  You are paying for their time and knowledge.   Have fun, and let everyone know what worked for you.   By the way, in my opinion  you need more spring than a 200-320.   Happy testing.

·
Registered
918 Posts
BellevilleMXZ,
           I enjoyed looking at your website and I must say you have the most adorable dog! What kind is it? Thanks!
                          Ryan

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Dog is a Tzitsu/lapso(sp??) cross,nice playful pet.

As for the sled, yes I did try the setup that Big John posted, yes it did make a difference, but not enough to suit me.Don't get me wrong it works great, and he is one VERY sharp guy, I just want more. I am now going with Tshift arms, and a kit from Cudney. I also have a coated DynoPort pipe on the way. I know about the tuning part, I'm good at that sort of stuff, only problem being, the season is VERY short, I have a 1 1/2 hour drive min. to get to good snow, and no way to work on it when I get there. So if I can can get "close" before a trip up north then all the better.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen dyno graphs(yeah I know a sled isn't a dyno) and the gains look very good. A couple of people in the know have said it works well, so I'm hoping!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
If they can only put 4 sled lengths on you and then your holding with them then there definitly in your reach.  Try adding an extra idler wheel infront of the current two.  If your holding with them it will just make things closer.  

Also go with the V-force reeds.  

What is the clutching that the mxz800 is using.  I would use somthing simular.  The stock 700 and stock 800 are pretty simular in a drag race so i would guess that clutching is also simular and if he is putting 4 sled lengths on you then hes got somthing better then you.  4 sled lengths in a drag race does not justify 100cc.  

Also are your raves working correctly.  Maybe thats why your giving up 4 sleds in the begining.  

Goodluck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you tach'n where you want to on the big end?  Don't quote me on this but I think a stock 700 twin rotax should tach around 7800.  If you are, then I recommend working on your gate shot and making them chase you down.
If you are running that far and those bigger sleds aren't pulling away from you then I would say they are within your reach.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 800X is bone stock except picked(168i think), i'm running about 8100 by the tach and the raves are clean as a whip.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I think you have to get your RPMS down.  to about 7800 or 7900.  Your running over the powerband.  

Its a mistery to me how a 800 can pull 4 lengths on you and then stop pulling.  Ive seen a few races between 700s and 800s and the 700 and 800 are nose to nose and the 800 only starts to pull at the top.  Ive also seen races where the 700 accually pulls on the 800 from the start.  

And also to add to the mistery how does the mach get ahead by 4 sleds.  Normally you should also be nose to nose for at lest a quarter of the track before the mach gets in its element.  

Its a hard topic to debate.  I have seen races between a stock mach z and stock mxz 800 and the mach won start to finish.  But ive also seen the mxz 800 pull and hold the lead for about half the race and then the mach z caught up and smoked him.  

It just goes to show the diffrences between each sled.  Just make sure when your adjusting that your engine and outside temp is the same as it was for your last run otherwise you will get no where.

Good Luck..  

P.S. Did bellville get rain yesterday.  I was around kaladar and Tweed and we got rain.  Snow is on its last legs.  We need some more.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
If you want to drag race with a twin you need to be in the 7600- 7700 RPM range. You'll run faster in a 660 than if you were running the recommended 7800 (which by the way is where you want to dial in the set-up, then click down one to race.) Try rolling the rubber pad out of the way along with turning the block to uncouple the suspension. Then adjust the limiter strap so that you aren't lifting the skiis more than 6". Why use all that power to lift thw front end more than necessary. I agree with Machzzzz1 about the MachZ.  I have not lost out of the hole to one yet, but at about 400-500 feet they scream by. I'd really like to hear about the results from the use of the Thundershift Arms.

Good Luck tuning!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Machzzzz1 @ Feb. 11 2002, 10:40am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think you have to get your RPMS down.  to about 7800 or 7900.  Your running over the powerband.  

Its a mistery to me how a 800 can pull 4 lengths on you and then stop pulling.  Ive seen a few races between 700s and 800s and the 700 and 800 are nose to nose and the 800 only starts to pull at the top.  Ive also seen races where the 700 accually pulls on the 800 from the start.  

And also to add to the mistery how does the mach get ahead by 4 sleds.  Normally you should also be nose to nose for at lest a quarter of the track before the mach gets in its element.  

Its a hard topic to debate.  I have seen races between a stock mach z and stock mxz 800 and the mach won start to finish.  But ive also seen the mxz 800 pull and hold the lead for about half the race and then the mach z caught up and smoked him.  

It just goes to show the diffrences between each sled.  Just make sure when your adjusting that your engine and outside temp is the same as it was for your last run otherwise you will get no where.

Good Luck..  

P.S. Did bellville get rain yesterday.  I was around kaladar and Tweed and we got rain.  Snow is on its last legs.  We need some more.[/b][/quote]
With the 800 we are about even till 50-60 mph and then he pulls on me till 100 and then we stay even. By 105 or so we had to shut down.

The mach, I pull him a bit out of the hole, and then he slowly catches up and passes at about 80mph. If I get a good launch, it takes till damn near 100 before he catches up. I have only ran the 800X twice, the mach several times on different days.
We are going out Thurs ,and hope to have the Cudney stuff, and T-Shift arms in by then.Pipe won't be here for a few weeks yet.I was told to set the rpms at 7900/8100 by the tach.

Rained like a ##### on Sun. got soaked on a ride back to the trailer in Bancroft.

·
Registered
100 Posts
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE MXZ700 AND THE 800 IS THE 800 COSTS ABOUT $500 TO $700 MORE.THE 700 IS RIGHT THERE WITH THE 800 OR ITS AHEAD.I KNOW BECAUSE I GOT SUCKED IN TO BUYING THE 8.THANKS SKI-DOO,APPRECIATE IT!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts