Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read most of the topics of GPS that are on this site. And Im kinda confused. The only thing i know right now is that I will have GPS on my sled next winter.... Thanks to Jason F, and SLDHD' s pics.... Trail riding will not be an option next year :whistling: ..... Anyway.... I hear everyone talking about different programs that you have to by, software programs???? This is after you by the GPS??? I am pretty sure I am going to get a garmin, looking at the GPSMAP60CSx..... From what i hear, you want something that is going to also map out as you ride, so that you can save your trails, and also mark spots to go to in the future????? :whatever:

Due to the amount of money that GPS is, I think the SW Golf EVENT needs to be a skins game!!!! :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:

Rob

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I have read most of the topics of GPS that are on this site. And Im kinda confused. The only thing i know right now is that I will have GPS on my sled next winter.... Thanks to Jason F, and SLDHD' s pics.... Trail riding will not be an option next year :whistling: ..... Anyway.... I hear everyone talking about different programs that you have to by, software programs???? This is after you by the GPS??? I am pretty sure I am going to get a garmin, looking at the GPSMAP60CSx..... From what i hear, you want something that is going to also map out as you ride, so that you can save your trails, and also mark spots to go to in the future????? :whatever:

Due to the amount of money that GPS is, I think the SW Golf EVENT needs to be a skins game!!!! :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:

Rob[/b]

Glad I could help snocat02 -SHD800

Attachments

·
10,054 Posts
Garmin is an excellent name,,, that is what I run, but I have the vista color and love it. I picked up the mounts at an aftermarket place here online and they are excellent also. I am running a mapsource program, but there is a program that JasonF is running that I feel is a lot better. something like a recreational type program that gets into elevation and all. Shoot him a pm and see what hes got. A lot of times you can come across the programs on ebay pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The GPS units comes with the programs necessary to run them (such as mapsource), but they're not as good as the specialty programs you typically have to pay for (y'know, the ones at Walmart right beside the units themselves, LOL). Kinda sucks, because the cost of the program is part of the reason the unit is priced so high, and then ya go and ditch it for a better program. You'll also need maps, cause it doesn't come with high detail maps for your area, those are specialty maps you'll have to buy extra yet again. Or... you can use a peer-to-peer program and get it all free (or have a good budy with a burner).

I use Garmin myself. eTrex Legend CX. Pretty cool. Color screen came with a 64mb micro-SD card. Most GPS units have the tracking ability, just pay attention to the specs to make sure it has it. Note: the longer the track the less accurate it is. Battery saver mode isn't the greatest at high speeds, but with a good set of NiMH batteries you don't need battery save mode. Typically more accurate than your highway maps :).

You've done your research, find the one with the features you want and get the best price you can. I bought a model down from what I wanted, and I'm impressed with what it can do. I have a feeling you'll be happy with whatever you get :)

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I've had a Garmin Legend (blue unit) & now have a Legend Cx (grey unit). The basemap that comes installed w/ these units is basically useless IMO. If you're using the GPS for sledding get the Mapsource Topo (US?) software.

I'm not sure what the previous comment about longer tracks being less accurate. You can set up a Legend Cx to use up to 10,000 points per track. Mind you when you save the track in the GPS it will be filtered down to 500 points. If you want these points saved, just transfer your track to your computer w/o saving it on your GPS.

When I'm sledding I set the unit to record a point every tenth of a mile. Then I save the track in my computer. Before I transfer it back to my GPS, I open another Mapsource file, copy the original track to the file, then filter it to 500 points. Then I transfer it to my GPS.

When you get your GPS, you'll know what I mean.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've had a Garmin Legend (blue unit) & now have a Legend Cx (grey unit). The basemap that comes installed w/ these units is basically useless IMO. If you're using the GPS for sledding get the Mapsource Topo (US?) software.

I'm not sure what the previous comment about longer tracks being less accurate. You can set up a Legend Cx to use up to 10,000 points per track. Mind you when you save the track in the GPS it will be filtered down to 500 points. If you want these points saved, just transfer your track to your computer w/o saving it on your GPS.

When I'm sledding I set the unit to record a point every tenth of a mile. Then I save the track in my computer. Before I transfer it back to my GPS, I open another Mapsource file, copy the original track to the file, then filter it to 500 points. Then I transfer it to my GPS.

When you get your GPS, you'll know what I mean.[/b]
Dang, you've done some experimenting! LOL. I'm still not fully aware of what my GPS is capable of doing, just used defaults. I've only had one really long run and it seemed accurate on the unit but not accurate after the transfer to PC. Fact is, I still don't know what I'm doing. Regardless... I'm still impressed with what it can do. I didn't use the GPS much because it was purchased for a logn run, which ended up being the last run of the season. Once summer get here (perhaps 2 months from now?) I'll start experimenting with it again. I'll get it right some day! LOL. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
you will need to get the mapsource topo cd for off road the topo cd is $75-80. i use a ram mount to mount the gps to my sled. i went to look at the 60 and the 76 and ended up with the map 276c
[attachment=36078:gps1.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the few pictures i have seen it appears that you guys have pretty good setups :thumbsup:

Is your GPS hardwired right into your sled???? If so, can it also be removed and ran on battery power... Just in case your out in the middle of now where (which is where i am planning on being) and your sled breaks down??>? :cussing:

Rob

·
10,054 Posts
mine is wired right into the cigarette lighter, but when I turn the sled off it goes back over to battery. I have never had a problem with the batteries puking, but I do bring along a couple others as spares. I did have an issue with a cigarette lighter stopping and having to take batteries out of flashlights to try to make sense of where we were as we were just a tad bit lost that night. We did make it home, but we ran right down the middle of a highway (snow covered of course) to get there,,, LOL some of you reading this may just remember that night LOL

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Mine has a adapter that plugs into a cigarette lighter. I like the Legend Cx because it's smalll to carry when hiking & I use it a lot on my MTB.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
mine is wired right into the cigarette lighter, but when I turn the sled off it goes back over to battery. I have never had a problem with the batteries puking, but I do bring along a couple others as spares. I did have an issue with a cigarette lighter stopping and having to take batteries out of flashlights to try to make sense of where we were as we were just a tad bit lost that night. We did make it home, but we ran right down the middle of a highway (snow covered of course) to get there,,, LOL some of you reading this may just remember that night LOL[/b]
a tad bit lost.... lmao ! That night was a blast ! I had fun anyway.

Snow4

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just picked up the Garmin GPSMAP 60 csx.... Haven't really got used to it yet... The software that came with it is the Trip and Waypoint manager...... I dont know if thats good or not.... I heard other people talking about different software that they have.... Lookin for ideas on what to get....

thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
The best software you can get for Garmin handhelds in City Navigator. Detailed road maps, as well as seasonal roads, are included. Get a 2 gig micro sd card and then you can load the maps you need from you pc to the device. Also, go to snowmobileworld.com and download snowmobile trail maps. Then, using your trip and waypoint manager you can build a mapset of snowmobile trails (including City Nav maps) and upload to your micro sd card.

Tony

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just picked up the Garmin GPSMAP 60 csx.... Haven't really got used to it yet... The software that came with it is the Trip and Waypoint manager...... I dont know if thats good or not.... I heard other people talking about different software that they have.... Lookin for ideas on what to get....

thanks[/b]
If you're gonna be sledding/doing off road stuff get Garmin's new Topo 2008...$89 from online vendors. Topo will work just fine for on-road use too....has all the highways and roads the Navigator series has but without auto-routing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts