Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm riding I currently put my GPS in a zip lock baggie. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could purchase a pouch that i could insert the GPS in?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't know where I got it ,but I have a Pouch for cellphone/gps that can be connected to your sled battery and is heated. It was in one of the large catologs( Kirk/shadetree etc. studdog

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Read the next 3 or 5 threads in this forum. I built one from a Norelco shaver bag...has worked great so far, no heater needed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey Ray I keep mine in a padded Cell phone case. But it doesn't help if I want it on my sled.

Jim your looking a little Bradycardic there buddy....lol.

RR

·
Registered
18 Posts
My GPS is mounted in a bracket on the dash, no pouch or heater. I have a small digital thermometer mounted just below it on the same bracket. Once the sled is warmed up the temp usually stays around 40 - 45 degrees except on the coldest days (like 0 F or below). I don't leave the GPS there overnight or during meal breaks. I haven't had any problems with the cold affecting the GPS operation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It was -10 Thur. in the UP and my Maridian would not work, I know could of put it the map bag with a "throw away hand heater bag" to get it to work. So I'm going to assemble some type of heated glove so it works when in my powered holding bracket.
StudDog where did you get your heated holder? I've searched the sites you mentioned and did a google and no luck. My 1st attempt will be the neoprean cover from Magellan with a grip heater tape ( maybe 2 ) on the inside. shane

·
Registered
876 Posts
I saw those cellgloves on another site before..but I can't find it. they were like $100. I just bought a clear plastic carry bag, and I have a grip heater kit, which my buddy is going to buy the other heater from the kit. So in all, it will cost me $25. And I will have a heated case to mount my GPS on the bars to.

I will post some picks when I get it done.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the reply's. I'm still looking for an option. I like the heated grip idea. This summer I will come up with something and posts pics once completed.

Thanks again,

Hey Don how's it going?

Ray

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ray almost time to dig the sled out. Did you finish your project of mounting the Gps? I used mine up in Temagami last year. mounted it on my sled with a dash mount. Really worked out great. Hooked up a power supply as well.

RR

·
Registered
441 Posts
My GPS is mounted in a bracket on the dash, no pouch or heater. I have a small digital thermometer mounted just below it on the same bracket. Once the sled is warmed up the temp usually stays around 40 - 45 degrees except on the coldest days (like 0 F or below). I don't leave the GPS there overnight or during meal breaks. I haven't had any problems with the cold affecting the GPS operation.
[/b]
This is a good idea.
If you keep the back of the unit touching or as close to the sleds dash as posible.
The heat from the motor should keep it warm enough. It works melting the snow that gets on the speedo/tac so it should keep the Gps warm enough also.
As long as you can still get a good signal and see it this is a free heat source.
For me the only small problem I see with mounting it on the dash would mean more snow will get on it. I'm always filling the dash with snow riding off trail. No big deal though.

here is what I have come up with. Case cost me $4, hand warmer cost was $15.
[/b]
Did it work well for you last season?
I'm wondering if the hand warmer would be too hot even on the low setting. I figure the warmer originaly is made to heat through a rubber grip and a gloved hand.
Too much heat IMO is also not good for batteries or the units electronics.
Trying to get a good operating temp. might take some trial and error.
I wonder if a thin peace of aluminum, neoprene or a small air gap between the warmer and back of the GPS would be enough to keep the direct heat from the back of the GPS.
Fitting it into the mount might be a little tight with the addad thickness.
Putting the unit/Mount into a clear case like you've done is a good idea.

My current unit is hard wired and mounted to the bars with a Ram mount.
I've got to doo something this year to keep it warm.
Had the screen freeze up on a ride when we were using it to get across and un-staked lake at night and it took a while to thaw it out inside my suit.
Fraz

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have a tank bag on your sled with the clear plastic on top for a map holder, Put your GPS in there facing up at you. Then go out and get one of the JON-E handwarmers, which you can get online or at an Army/Navy surplus type store, and get that going, put it in the red fuzzy bag it comes with and stick that in the map holder with your GPS. those things stay warm for like 10 hours and get super hot. as long as it stays in the red pouch it comes with, it will keep the batteries in your gps warm all day and if needed can warm up your hands too!!

Easy, easy, easy.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=jon-e%20hand%20warmer&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

1 - 20 of 22 Posts