Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses gps for snowmobiling?  If so what brand and kind.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I started using it last year. I have a garmin etrex. I use it for top speed (apparently they are accurate to 1 mph over 100 and 0.1 under) and mapping  unmarked trails like logging roads. I have this really cool topomap program (softmap but there are others) which enables me to download, upload waypoints and routes on em and it's all 1:50 000 scale maps so it's very accurate.

Here's some logging roads I'ved mapped

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I got the Garmin Etrex Legend. I haven't used it for sledding yet but have used it in the car. It works awesome!!!Has the ability to download maps on to it!! Can't wait to see how far my Cat speedo is out  
Lol

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
snow monkey be ready for the big let down.all the cats that we have checked were off big time over 10mph. polaris is close and really not just because I like them doo was the most accurate.polaris and doo were off between 2-5 mph.I do not have a gps but one of my riding buds has the e-trex as well and it seems to be great.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I've seen in a hunting/fishing magazine plans to make a heated GPS mount for sleds. The guy used handwarmers in his mount and it apparently worked really well, even at - 30.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yeah, I already know that the speedo's are horrible on the cats, but it will be interesting to find out how much  
...........just to see how bad i have been lying

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
let us know

·
Registered
858 Posts
Slarson, It's called softmap, you can have a look at their website Softmap I find em fairly cheap, 80 $ Can. / volume, MORE THAN 1000$ WORTH OF MAPS and lets say you wanted all of Ontario, there are 4 volumes. I got all quebec and Ontario 1:50 000 as well as all of canada 1:250 000 scale (about 30 cd's for everything). I bough about half, the other half were trades but they only have Canada. I heard national geographic makes good maps for the States, I've seen em and they look really nice. You can have a look at this siteTopo!
The softmap maps are all georeferenced and have a very big data base, you type in a lake, mountain name or island and if the name exists, it's gona bring you there. It also calculates distances, areas and a couple of other things. I use it alot in my field (Geology) but it's a great program for hunting, fishing, canoing, biking...

I also have Arcview if you're familiar with GIS and softmap has a Pro version which is compatible so you can make vector files that can be exported in arcview and mapinfo.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used to have a Garmin 12 that I liked but then my saddlebag ripped and I lost it on the trail some where, I hope someone is enjoying it, oh well I'll get another Garmin most likely an e-trek here's a link to good mapping software page, Terrain navigator

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a Magellan, Blazer 12, that I have  mounted on the dash of my sled, works ok in the cold, batterys are only good for 5-6hr's.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
AC, funny you should bring up the Softmaps, they were mentioned on a non-snowmobiling mailing list I belong to.

What GPS do you use? I too have a Garmin Etrex (the yellow one) & was wondering what I would need to connect to my computer. How difficult is the uploading & downloading operation?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a Lowrance Global Map 100.  Great map details and easy to use.  Only thing that I would like is more memory and a max-speed-reached (it only shows current speed) feature so I don't have to try to read the display bouncing down the trail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts