Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
go with the yellow etrax. they are 200 in stores and you can pick one up on ebay for about 80 new. thats what i use and it is great for what we do.aint been lost yet!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Ive been running a Magelllan 315 for over a year now and it seems to hold up to just about anything..lots of good ones to choose from. Garmin make some nice ones too but they seem to be more aligned with staying on roads and not so much for backcountry usage but then again i havent had one in my hand enough to say for sure..Steve

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have been using a Garmin eMap for three years and would not think of going out without it. Check out the GPS systems at www.garmin.com look at all the specs and find out what you want and need...BEST WAY and whatever you get it pays to have one. It will take a little study to use it..

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have used both Magellan and Garmin. They do work in the cold. I carry one with me at all times along with a handheld VHF, a compass, and a small revolver. You can get by with the low cost models (like the eTrex) which are around $120. I have the Garmin Venture which has more built in memory and is WAAS enabled which gives it more precision. It cost me around $170 and is everything I need and is the best bargain for the features it has in my book. Depending on where you ride an altimeter may be useful and can be gotten as a feature for more dollars.

We ride a lot of untracked wilderness which is not accessed from parking lots - our machines are THE sole means of transportation, so GPS can come in very handy. As with any electronic device they should not be relied upon as the only means of way finding so keep that in mind but, by all means go for it!

R

·
0 Posts
I have used etrex vista for 1 year now. Best unit and always upgradable for free from the Garmin site. I use it to make my own maps. I have used magellan and lowrance but this is the best!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
I went with a Garmin GPSMAP 176...nice large screen. I want a GPS that I can view while riding, not one that you have to stop and pull out of your pocket.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
:D I bought the Etrex Legend....used it over the summer and worked great.....havent used it on the sled yet but i am sure it will work great!!! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have used the etrex VISTA fro several years. It has the most memory for downloadable maps in the etrex series. I download the TOPO maps for the area I am going to be using it in. I can get all of the snowmobiling area in the Northeast from Maine down trough Pennsylvania loaded into it. Because it has downloadable memory I can also get operating system upgrades free from Garmin.

A big bonus in this model, is that it is waterproof. It meets a tighter spec. than all of the other etrex models.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Garmin makes new model that is combined with a walkie-talkie. When your with a buddie and you stop to talk, you will get a bearing and distance to each other. There's a regular model and a super dooper one with more memory. It sounds as if they have most if not all the features of the ones mentioned above. Check out their website.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Forgot to add that I use a Lowrance Global Map 100 Plus.

Pros:
- fast acquisition times
- lots of features
- accuracy

Cons:
- a little big\heavy
- only 1 M for map uploads. I'd like to be able to load all of NH, ME, VT and MA into it at one time.

For the money, I think the eTrex Legend or Vista would be the best choice. I'd go with the Vista for extra memory and altimeter. There are good deals on ebay.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The revolver, etc fit in the vest radio "bra" I wear. Handy to carry for possible munchables should a guy find himself 60 or 80 miles from help for a couple of days which isn't too difficult to imagine in this part of the world. Of course, we almost always have a sled in tow as well with a pair of snowshoes tied on board it or the snowmachine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a e-trex the blue one I have yet to get the maps for it yet. How do you power the gps. Mine eats batterys I wanted to put a 12 volt supply on but havent found one for my 98 mach Z does anyone know the part number for doo for this its non battery sled. They have a kit for sled with batterys

Thanks
Duane

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
RWS,

I was lookin at a Garmin 3 or 5 for my sled. I too want it on the dash with my gauges. Did you hardwire your base to your sled's electrical system? I heard that LCD screens freeze up below zero.

any ideas? how much did you spend on this unit? which model is it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts