Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just got a new 2001 Grand Touring 700
 He thinks it is using too much oil.1.5 gallons in 700kms.
The is new and I am wondering how long before it is broke-in.
It is the first sled with dpem that i have worked on and I dont want to screw anything up.
 After beeak-in will the oil consumption go down?

Thanks Rodney

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I would say thats kinda high.
You didn't say how much fuel he burnt in that 700km, but say your getting 12MPG (my 700 ranges from 12-14).  that would mean you used 36gal of fuel.
That means your burning around 25:1 fuel to oil.  I usually shoot for 50:1 as a safe average.
Check the oil pump, and see if the indicator lines are lined up.
I would turn it down a little at a time (oil is cheap compared to a new engine)

FishHog

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Oil consumption will go down after brake in.  The chip will burn out at 700 km or 10 hours.  

It is also advised to take your sled in for the 400km tuneup.  But dont take it at 400 take it a 800km.

The dealer will

1. Torque head bolts.
2. Adjust timing.
3. Sync Carbs.
4. Presure test the cooling system.
5. Adjust Oil Pump.  
6. Align Clutches.
7. And do a good inspection of machine.

after this you probably wont need to ever bring it back.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,The problem here is that we dont have a dealer,That is why he asked me to check it over for him. All I did for him today was tighten the track,I wanted to hear from someone first..Before touching anything else..Thanks again.Rodney

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I agree with Machzzzz, but from the sounds of things your already over 700km or atleast at it.  Maybe one more good ride, then look at it.

The good news is, that too much oil won't hurt anything.  If your not fouling plugs, then the only downside is the cost of the oil.

FishHog

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sled has 790kms on it and I don't want to touch the oil pump, But the owner of the sled thinks it is taking too much .I'll try and get him to wait another week or so to see if it changes...I'll verify the marks on the pump this afternoon , to see if they line up.   Thanks Rodney

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess it was a good thing to check over the sled , The chain box had little or no oil in it. I pulled the dipstick and wiped it -- then put it back in and checked it...no oil.
 This sled came off the showroom floor at a dealer in P.E.I. It was left over from last year..maybe someone thought someone else had filled the chain case..
 Other than that, He is going to leave the oilpump as is for now.. he did say it was getting easier on gas, so maybe the chip is getting burned in..
 Thanks Rodney.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts