Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from central manitoba and wondering if there is any grass drags around like eastern Saskatchewan? Also, I went to the states last year and was in Grantsburg Wis. and saw the sign for the national oval watercrossing competition and was wondering when it is this year? last year it was in july 20th and 21st.

thanks, Joshua

·
Registered
229 Posts
greatwhitenorth, the watercross at Grantsburg,WI is on the 20th and 21st of July this year. As far as grass drags go, the circuit in SD is the only event that's even remotely close to your location. I've heard of nothing in ND or NW MN, possibly something in southern MB in October, but that's it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
There are usually a few in ND through out the summer but since there has been some lack of interest as of late they are holding off. If you know of a few people that want to compete and would not mind coming to northeastern ND I could Keep you posted on some drags. SD is the only sanction circiut in the northern states that I know of but Chad Erlandson pretty much owns them and he can get away with anything in that circiut.

·
Registered
229 Posts
SNORAT, are you talking about Mountain,ND? I went to watch sleds race and there wasn't hardly any there. A couple of tight runs between an MXZ 800 and a XCR 800, and the MXZ 800 against a modded out MXZ, but that was it for the most part. They need to have ATV races on a separate day so there isn't competition for racers/fans between the two. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
We have had some here in Grafton also I have heard that Cavalier might have one and also maybe Grandforks There is also one in Fargo and one close to Detroit Lakes .
Depending on what the guys in devils lake are up to there might be one there also. I did not k=make it to The mountain Race I was fishing. My friend John Corneillie put on the Mountain Race for them the last couple of years. As far as splitting the atvs and the sleds up ,that is up to the people in mountain. If there is more interest this year and someone could garrenty a good turn out I am sure we might be able to talk John into puting on some more.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Guarantee a good turn out? You guys in Grafton must have something pretty good in your water to expect that. All you can do is advertise the heck out of it and hope for the best. Most racers I've talked to are getting out because of the lack of races to go to in the area. Some state the few races left either have too many rules or not enough rules. People putting on races are having a hard time finding the necessary volunteers to organize a race let alone satisfying the racers needs. I think your friend John would agree with that observation. The races that get decent turn outs are the ones that are held every year rain or shine and a dedicated group of volunteers to do the work needed. Only Detroit Lakes, MN and Sabin,MN (Fargo) meet that criteria in ND and NW MN and who knows if they'll have one this year. The only option for the racers in our area is to move up and join a circuit, follow their rules, and be prepared to spend alot of time on the road.(Big Bucks) By the way, Erlandson owning the SD circuit? Check out www. sdsdracing.com and look at last years points standings. I didn't see the Erlandson name once in the points standings. I think they just test there to get ready for NSRA races, also next to Pat Hauk, Allen Ulmer has one of the fastest SRX's in the country to compare to. Just my .02 cents (more like a dollar). I wish you luck in trying to get racing back in ND again.

·
Registered
229 Posts
They cleaned out the list of points champions, so you'll have to trust me that Erlandsons weren't listed at all. Yes, they win some races there but they don't go to all of the races and don't go for the points there.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Snorat, keep us posted if you hear of any in ND.  I haven't heard anything other than a few in MN so far.  Usualy they have the list out for the grass drags in ND don't they?

·
Registered
229 Posts
phazerhater, ND hasn't had a circuit in over 2 years
. There were only two races in the whole state, that I knew of last summer. One in July for the Nome, ND centennial, and the one in Mountain, ND last August. Hopefully there will be more this year but I'm not holding my breath over it
. Looks like I'll have to go to Princeton,MN or Hay Days to get my fix
this year.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I'm pretty sure they had some small drags in Grand forks, fargo, grafton, and a couple other places in ND last year didn't they?  I'm not just looking for sanctioned races or anything, I mean ANY races in the area....
  You could be right, hope not though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sorry phazerhater, no GF, no Grafton last year. Fargo is actually on the MN side at Sabin just north of Interstate Dragways. As of two weeks ago GF is still not planning to get back into racing this year either. Mountain might just be the only race in ND this year. After last years turn out, that could be a big question mark too. Back on the soap box for anyone hosting a race, advertise, advertise, advertise! Racers need to know your out there. Use the net, have a radius of 150mi., send posters to more than just local dealers, use major radio stations. The few in the area that still race grass drags will tell you finding out where the local races are is very difficult.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You bet there is some drags up here. The first on is June 8th in Springside Sask, just the other side of Yorkton. Then there is 5 more throughout the summer in Saskatchewan. Probably the track at springside is the worst one on the circuit but still works.  Races start at 11:00 am sharp, if you need some more info. you can email me at [email protected]  Have a good one!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts