Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at the savings that a sledder can make by buying in the States

$14000ca for top of the line sled

is under $10,000us

To get $10,000us with Canuck buck its under $10,400

Look at the savings

a used Apex up here is $9000+ while in the States they are dumping them for $6000-7000

Damn I wish I was closer to the border

btw that is just sleds

now try cars/trucks/bike etc

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
anyone know a good reputable yamaha dealer close to the border in New York. gas isnt cheap but saving a few grand on a new sled is worth it!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
im definatly getting a new sled from the states

i will never buy agian in ontario

way to over priced i just sold my sled for 2500 and i think that was over priced

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
The conversion is sweet. There is one item of contention though. The warranty will not be valid within Canada. This means a drive back to the states for any work covered by warranty. Not a big issue if you live close but for someone like myself it would not be justifiable.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
There's other parts to this that should be addressed by the manufacturers.

I can certainly understand why someone would buy their sled and parts across the border.
$3,000 to $4,000 is a huge chunk of money.

However the dangerous side to this is that if your local dealers end up having to close their doors due to lack of sales, (Which can be forced by either finances or the manufacturer when they can't order the minimum number of sleds required.) then where will you buy your parts or future sleds when or if the Can. $ drops again? Living in rural Ontario, I've seen many small town bedroom community gas stations close due to lack of profit and the inability to compete with big city prices. Ten years ago, when out riding, it was never a concern about where to buy gas on our rides. Now, with so many gas stations closed, it's always a concern. Especially after 6:00PM and all day Sunday. I can see the same thing happening to sled dealers. If we want a dealer locally, then we need to support that dealer.

The real problem is with the manufacturers and the prices they dictate.
Their prices are set almost a year in advance and we all know how volatile and unpredictable the currency markets are and how difficult it must be to try to set prices so far in advance. An option could be to have the prices fluctuate with market conditions. Not a door any manufacturer wants to open. Sales of all items will freeze every time prices are unfavourable.

They also set prices based on what the market will bear. If they figure people will pay a certain price in one country, then that's the price they charge. As vast as our two countries are, you can see that with variable states of the economy in certain areas, how that affects sales.

Western Canada, east of the Rockies has a huge building boom happening due to the work available in the oil patch. Tim Horton's donut shops are paying $14 - $18 per hour just to attract and keep staff. Housing costs are through the roof, if you can even find a place. So demand for luxury items there would be high. In Southern Ontario, the opposite is happening. High unemployment and you can't even give your house away. So demand is very low. The East Coast of Canada is in turmoil because of the problems with the fisheries. Many fish canneries have closed and have outsourced the fish processing to China. Mmmmmn. We all know of their high cleanliness and hygiene standards there. NOT!!! Remember the pet food scare?
My lengthy point being that one price across one country doesn't make sense.

BRP / Skidoo / Can-Am / SeaDoo is the only Canadian manufacturer exporting to the U.S. So with the Canadian dollar so close to the U.S. dollar, they don't make as much profit on every unit sent south of the border. We have to assume they're still making a profit. That also shows they're making a huge profit on Canadian sleds. I would also assume that the profit margin left for the dealers would be the same on both sides of the border with all of the brands. Their options could be to raise prices in the U.S. to maintain their desired profit margins if market conditions would bear it. I have my doubts they would.

Arctic Cat and Polaris builds their sleds south of the border and export into Canada. A strong Canuck Buck, gives them greater profit. They could conceivably lower their prices to try to capture market share and still maintain the same profit margin.

Yamaha builds their sleds in Japan. It's the difference between the Japanese Yen and each currency on this side of Pacific Ocean that determines their profit margin.

Just adding my $2.85 to the thread. See what a strong dollar does? LOL

Jeff

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
A few points need to be brought up.
Warranties on items purchased int the US are honoured in Canada. I know of several people who have made the trip to the states, and have no problem with warranties here.

The States is not that far away, and with savings as big as we're talking about, it's worth a long drive. Or, you can do like a friend of mine in Sudbury and make the trip for people wanting to buy in the states, and turn a tidy profit on the machines you're picking up.

I, too, am concerned about the local dealers, but it's the distributers that control the pricing, and when sales fall in Canada there will be pressure on the Canadian pricing. As long as we're willing to be ripped off and pay the extra money they're asking of us, the prices will remain inflated.

Prices already vary widely across the country. In Fort Mac sleds routinely sell above MSRP, both because the market will allow it, and because labour costs necessitate it. The MSRP is just that, a "suggested" retail price, and dealers will sell for as much as their local market will allow.

It's senseless for us to talk about what the Canadian dollar should be compared to the American dollar. With our economy as strong as it is, and most of our provincial budgets balanced, with the Federal budget running in perpetual surplus, while the American gov is running record deficits, and with a very real likely hood that their empire is going to come crashing down around them, we should instead be trying to figure out what we're going to do with our major trading partner in crisis, and how we can develop new markets for our exports.

·
Registered
252 Posts
well i have to agree with frezzie, i picked up a boat in michigan for 2000 bucks us by the time it was all said and done i have less than 2500 cdn into the whole deal. the exact same i mean 100% exact just sold at a dealer in london on for $6800 cdn.that 4300 looks much better in my pocket.and let me tell ya all the worries i had about getting it landed in canada were for nothing.it was the easiest thing to do. now i'm on the hunt for an enclosed trailer for my growing fleet of sleds lol. i hate to say this tblazer but the companys who build this stuff need to adjust their prices accordingly. the days of the public will pay whatever we are asking are over.i have been shopping pretty hard for a trailer on both sides of the border,and i can get an 07 trailer in michigan for about 2500 bucks less than i can up here. so in total thats 6800 in savings for my purchases. and that buys alot of gas for the toys lol.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I agree with you Wisz. That was the first line in my post.

"There's other parts to this that should be addressed by the manufacturers."

Jeff

·
Registered
252 Posts
absolutly, a few years ago they said the reason the prices were so high was mostly due to the exchange rate being so high.in my opinion i feel the dealers should be the ones to complain to the manufactorer,as they have every right to do.after all it is the dealer that is going to suffer the most. i think it would be in their best interest to allow the dealers to lower the prices accordingly, and if they allow this to carry on then shame on them. ultimately if they lose dealerships they cannot blame the buying public for shopping smart.i feel bad for the dealers being put in this position, as it clearly is not their fault at all, and i bet if we were to see the bottom line in what the dealer makes on a sale we would be shocked how low their profit acctually is on a sale. we live in a very competitave world when it comes to shopping, also remember every time you shop at a walmart in canada you are taking advantage of the lower u.s pricing. but how many people think of that when they need something and shop for a deal. its the same pricipal only on a smaller scale.every time you shop there you are putting a store that much further to closing the doors. just some food for thought lol

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
in my opinion i feel the dealers should be the ones to complain to the manufactorer,as they have every right to do.after all it is the dealer that is going to suffer the most.[/b]
Oh they are, very loudly. It's an incredibly frustrating situation for the dealers, especially as more and more people realize how easy it is to shop in the US, and with even the mainstream media picking up the story and reporting on how many people are cross border shopping it's only a matter of time before our prices come down.

·
Registered
430 Posts
"very real likely hood that their empire is going to come crashing down around them, we should instead be trying to figure out what we're going to do with our major trading partner in crisis, and how we can develop new markets for our exports."

NewfieBullet;
Perhaps you would feel free to explain yourself.

Instead of blaming your manufacturers, dealers and the local population you should look at your own government and rally the rest of your fellow citizens to change it.
How is that I can purchase a Ski-doo made in Canada for less than you can?
Why is Labatts beer $3.50 a 6-pack in my country and double or triple that in yours.
Afterall it should be considered an import and taxed to death.
You can simply look at the trail pass $$ amount argument.
We pay almost nothing and you pay hundreds yet, our trails are as good or better.
Could it be that your government rapes it's own citizens and manufactures?

Where do you honestly think your country would be without the U.S.!!!

The United States of America is the most powerful nation in the history of the world for a reason.
Don't start insulting America or an American without being able to back up your comments!
There are a whole bunch of us that will fiercely defend our country and principals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Of course you will. I wouldn't expect any less. But it's simple economics, and history has proven, time and time again, that all empires eventually fail. The American gov is living so far beyond it's means that things are going to crash. The sad part is, such a major recession in such a powerful market place is going to drag the rest of the world down with it. Most likely though, China, and SouthEast Asian markets will be so powerful by then that hopefully we won't see a worldwide crisis.

As for blaming the Canadian government for the price disparity on snowmobiles, quads and cars, that's just silly, and it shows you have no idea of our tax history.
Our manufacturing taxes were eliminated with the introduction of the GST back in the 80's. GST is not included in the MSRP, so the vast difference in pricing has nothing to do with taxation.

Beer is a different story of course, and we do have hidden taxes on alcohol and cigarettes that inflate the sticker prices.

What we're talking about here is simple economics, and the free market at play. There was a huge disparity in pricing based on the differece in the value of the dollar. As the american dollar weakens worldwide, due to the ballooning deficit and tremendous debt, the manufacturers are slow to correct the pricing because as long as Canadians are willing to keep paying the same prices, they make more money.

Actually, what's happening is they get to announce that they are keeping the prices in check, the magazines praise them for introducing new features without increasing prices, and they end up turning bigger profits.

I don't know why you would expect BRP to be able to sell their product for less in Canada then they do in the US. NAFTA has been in place for roughly 20 years now, and as much as there are problems with the agreement, the problems certainly do not lead to Americans paying more for Canadian resources or products. The only time Americans pay more then Canadians is in a case such as soft-wood lumber, when american special interest groups convince the US gov to impose illegal import duties on Canadian exports.

Anyway, I certainly did not intend to insult the United States of America, nor any of it's citizens. You're right, the USA is the most powerful country in the world for a reason. An incredible amount of natural resources, and a population large enough to extract them. Then, wealth begets wealth, and we end up with tremendous amounts of capital which, in turn, can be used to generate more wealth.

Ignoring the lessons of history, however, is foolish, and anyone who pays attention to current events knows that the US is over-extending itself, which is, inevitably, going to lead to a serious crash. You can bury your head in the sand if you like, but that's only going to make matters worse.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope so, because like i said, when the crash comes it's going to drag Canada down with it. Even with the foresight to diversify our trading partners in an attempt to limit the damage that's bound to occur.

In the meantime though, don't get mad at me, get mad at Bush.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by taxicat
Instead of blaming your manufacturers, dealers and the local population you should look at your own government and rally the rest of your fellow citizens to change it.
How is that I can purchase a Ski-doo made in Canada for less than you can?
Why is Labatts beer $3.50 a 6-pack in my country and double or triple that in yours.
Afterall it should be considered an import and taxed to death.
You can simply look at the trail pass $$ amount argument.
We pay almost nothing and you pay hundreds yet, our trails are as good or better.
Could it be that your government rapes it's own citizens and manufactures?
What does our governement have to do with the price of sleds???

there is no hidden taxes

YES Beer is taxed

How much is milk/sugar down there?????

as for trails IT IS OUR $$$$ that goes into the trails NOT Governement funded trails like in the States

Its OUR provincial snowmobile group that decides the prices and voted on,yes the MTO has to approve if there are price increases,but it is the clubs that decide the price

Its not the DNR slush fund,that some State governors raid the odd times for the welfare programs in the city like you guys have

All money collected stays with the OFSC and is distributed to the clubs

Back to the topic at hand,Used sleds/cars Quads is where it is at

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
they say our dollar could be a par this fall so wait till then then buy....that`s what I`m thing of doing APEX too sweet...live is getting better...

Rick :D

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
exports[/b]
thats the Liberals fault for letting the Loonie drop to 64cents

If they would have kept it near 75-80cents exporters would not be hurting as much as they are,when it went up today but then again most of the gains were against the US greenback and NOT the Euro and Pound

The business I am in is enjoying this as we import and deal locally with the mines who are turning up HUGE profits

1 - 20 of 34 Posts