Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1996 polaris indy classic 500 and recently a grinding noise or very rappid thumping noise has been coming from what sounds like the track. i cheked the track tention and it was a little loose but not enought to realy need to be tightened but i decided to do it anyways. it still does it. it usualy starts when i accelorate or when i hit bump (woop sized or plow hill sized) when the suspension goes down. it will allways do it if im going under 10mph and i put it to the grip. i dont know what is wrong outher then track tension and it wasnt it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Chain tension?

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have a 1996 polaris indy classic 500 and recently a grinding noise or very rappid thumping noise has been coming from what sounds like the track. i cheked the track tention and it was a little loose but not enought to realy need to be tightened but i decided to do it anyways. it still does it. it usualy starts when i accelorate or when i hit bump (woop sized or plow hill sized) when the suspension goes down. it will allways do it if im going under 10mph and i put it to the grip. i dont know what is wrong outher then track tension and it wasnt it.[/b]
Check all of your idler wheels, as they sometimes blow apart, or the rubber peels off of them, which drags along the inside surface of the track. Also check to make sure that the bolt that keeps your hyfax on (at the front of the slide-rail) is still there. They sometimes break, the hyfax slips back & makes a horrible noise as the track windows are grinding it away at the rear idler wheels, where the track makes the corner. Roll the track through, too to see if it's not missing a chunk, or has a torn piece that's flapping away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it posible it could be my clutch or something too? it only does it when i am on the gas. i checked the boggie wheels and the track and hifax and all seemed ok. i dont know if it could be the cluch or what whould make the clutch do it. i also dont know how to check chain tenion since i dont know where it is at.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same thing happened to a buddies sled. turned out to be missing a chunk of belt on the inside. don't forget about a possible broken tunnel protector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same thing happened to a buddies sled. turned out to be missing a chunk of belt on the inside. don't forget about a possible broken tunnel protector.[/b]
yea my belt is new but it is also "ribbed" on both sides. the tunnel protector looks ok just a few scrapes in the back where it stops and the studs hit... theres not many though so i don't think it is that. thanks for the suggestion tho. i appreciate it

i will look into the fact that it could be broken tho i will look more thero at the tunnel protectors to see

1 - 6 of 6 Posts