Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta be a higher force at work here. Earlier today, a small black mutt decides to pay a visit. Thankfully I found her owner and she was quickly returned to her. Well, not even 8 hours later, on my way home from the store, I find a Great Pyraneese "puppy" on the side of a road where people fly down it at better than 60 mph. :( This poor thing is so full of burrs, it is painful to even LOOK at her, let alone touch her. She's so thin that not only can I feel her ribs through her heavy coat, I can damn near put my fingers completely between them. I just couldn't leave myself to leave her there, so now I have another mutt tied up in the front yard. :nervous: Now I get to figure out what to do with THIS one!!! Like I have time for this. These are times when my obsessive soft spot for dogs REALLY gets in the way. :doh:

I cannot figure out WHY people dump animals on the side of the road like this. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH! :angry:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well, you're doing a good thing anyway! You must love animals a lot.. Like what you did with those wild ducks or what were they... I don't wanna sound like your mother or something, but I'm proud of you :)

I just got a third cat 2 days ago, don't actually have the space for that, but it was so cute I just couldn't resist...

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Wolfie I am sure there is a spot in heaven reserved just for you.We got our kitty from a friend who found 3 kitties left in the bush and my dog was a runt that noone wanted, had him 15yrs. I love great pyraneese is it white? Love her and feed her. I am proud of you too Wolfie. :)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Maybe wolg dog would like a tasty treat he he. Our neughbors dog got wacked by a car yuesterday afternoon. Don't know what happen after they took it to the animal hospital. the dumb dog just broke it's leg a month or two ago.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I would do the same thing, actually i have done it, you just cant let a poor animal like that try and fend for itself, hang on to it and try to find the owner. :)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that there's some daylight, I took a picture of her after getting TONS of thorns cut out of her fur. I still have much to do with her to clean her up.
What to do.......... I do wanna keep her ???

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by LadyK@Oct 23 2002, 10:25 AM
Wolfie she is beautiful!!! She will find a good home with you.When she grows up she will look like a polar bear. I'd keep her if I found her too Wolfie. :)
So would I, I have a soft spot for strays.

·
1,327 Posts
Man, that is a nice looking dog.

If you weren't so far away I would take her in a second.

I just got a new rescue from the pound last night.

Not too sure what the heck it is though, I believe half black lab, half sheppard or something.

I have been going to the SPCA for the past 2 weeks to see him. He has been there for over a month and was due to be put down next monday unless someone claimed him.

I think my Mastiff puppy thought that he was a toy.

When I brought him home she looked at me like she was saying

"Is that for me???"

I think my back yard is in trouble.

Good luck with her Wolfman!

DP

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Wolfman, you have to keep that dog...she's a good looking dog. Look at those legs and paws, she's going to be a good-sized dog. I would take her too if I was closer to you. My wife won't let us move to the country, because she knows I will bring home every stray I find, no matter what kind of animal...rabbits, cats, dogs, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK folks, first, many thanx to all for the tremendous amount of support for bringing her home.

I have spent much of the day soul searching and thinking about what I was going to do with her. I've made up my mind, and she does indeed have a permanent home here. This was NOT, however, done without having to do a very unpleasant thing that I was putting off untill today. See, Bud, the medium sized white mutt that I've posted a pic of elsewhere here, had made an attempt to bite one of my parents when they were out last summer. I do have a rule with dogs, and this is due to an experience as a child. I do not under any circumstances keep a dog that bites. Bud had shown three seperate occasions including the one I just mentioned of aggression and a bite tendancy towards others. That kind of a liability is one that I cannot afford, and nearly bankrupted my folks back then when their German Shepperd pulled a local kid off of the fence.

Unfortunately for Bud, the dumb SOB decided to show his aggression at the AC officer. He signed his own fate this afternoon. :( That bums me further as if he were to be put in the right home, he would flourish there. His loyalty was the strongest of any dog that I've ever had. I had been putting this off due to the bond between him and Nikita, and to some extent his bond to me.

Anyway, I took the pup in earlier this afternoon for a full examination. She has a foot injury that is swollen up pretty bad, and is on antibiotics to help it heal. Beyond this, she is in perfect health, if a tad underweight. The vet estimates her at three months old.

So far, Nikita and Chance are seemingly accepting her well. Actually, Chance couldn't care one way or the other if she was there or not. He sniffed her, gave me that "oh damn, here we go again" look, and then proceeded to try to climb in my lap. Nikita is wagging his tail alot and frequently thoroughly sniffs her over. The change should do well, and significantly blunt any chances of Nikita going into a depression over losing Bud.

So, today was a bittersweet day - I have a new pal to watch grow up and become a huge loving furball. Her disposition is literally the most laid back of any dog I've ever met. Unfortunately, the day is marred with losing another one that I deeply cared for.

In answer to LadyK's question, yes I've come up with a name. I've named her Snow, after the stuff we all crave so much, and for being a big white ball of fluff!

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Wolfie I am sorry you are losing your friend. We had a dog that was the best bush dog you ever saw, could run straight through the bush and keep up to you on the atv. His name was Chevy, well chevy kept running away into town to visit his g/f. He also got into a few scraps on the way. Needless to say he attacked the neighbours dog pretty bad. I too have a rule about biting dogs I have 2 kids the dog HAS to be tolerant to quite alot of b.s. he was good with the kids but after that I didnt trust him. The dog he attacked needed $700.00 at the vet and then died about 9mths later for no reason. I really like my neighbour too. I paid the vet bill and got rid of the dog.We really miss Chevy alot.

On the other hand now you have Snow to heal your heart., she looks to be a loyal and loving creature. No doubt she will be a great dog. I was thinking exactly what you chose for a name.Please keep me informed about Snow as I am interested in how she is if it is not too much trouble.

Thanx for the update Wolfie :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry to hear about Bud...
Unfortunately animals tend to be stubborn #####, and sometimes sending them to pet heaven is the only good solution.. I know exactly how it feels to lose a pet, it's the worst.

Good luck with Snow, she's beautiful.. And what a beautiful name you got her! Hope she can make up for the loss...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanx everyone, you all are the greatest! :thumbsup: Snow is already making some progress in settling in. Yesterday, she was still a little reluctant to be approached, and this morning she is actually walking up to me with her tail wagging. Nikita won't hardly leave her alone, and follows her all over the yard. I'm going to try changing from a communal food bowl to individual ones to help curb the competition over it. She is making yesterdays events much more bearable then they otherwise would have been.

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Wolfman@Oct 24 2002, 10:34 AM
Thanx everyone, you all are the greatest! :thumbsup: Snow is already making some progress in settling in. Yesterday, she was still a little reluctant to be approached, and this morning she is actually walking up to me with her tail wagging. Nikita won't hardly leave her alone, and follows her all over the yard. I'm going to try changing from a communal food bowl to individual ones to help curb the competition over it. She is making yesterdays events much more bearable then they otherwise would have been.
Give Snow time to come around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts