Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a contract dispute, and has been going on since early summer. The DNR is trying to screw the clubs, plain and simple. No one has contracts in place yet. It is not possible until the legislature approves a budget. Our money is protected funds, that is not the issue (although funding is supposed to be down this year). The issue is the DNR trying to change contracts that have been in place for 2-6 years and before. To my knowledge there are only 2 of about 25 clubs that are comfortable enough to sign with the current language of the second amendment to this years grants. What will the other clubs do? I think if finally has boiled down to the clubs tired of the DNR's crap and we are taking a stand. Funny that technically clubs can not brush and sign, or get paid to do that activity, yet most are done with that, or will be soon.

You can read some about it here:
MSA Issues

(Start at second article down then read the top one)

I don't think many people realize that this is the single biggest issue that has faced the grooming community. More facts will come out soon, but I don't currently feel comfortable for speaking for the grooming community as a whole.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Yes our funds our protected but what most people don't realize is that a good portion of our money comes outside of our specially held fund, provided to us by the state so the budget can have an effect.
This is why I believe that there were alternative motive for passing the legislation last fall protecting our recreational money. Now that our money is protected, the State (which is looking to make cuts) can basically cut the money that is allocated towards things that can support themselves, ie hunters, fisherman, and us. I will wager any amount of money that unless the economy improves quickly, we will see steep increases in trail passes and game licenses to create system where the users pay to play persay. Probably more like they have in Ontario.
I could be way off base, but just my thoughts J

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I dont think any of us will have to worry about what happens to the trails when gas hits 6 bucks a gallon this winter..........

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I dont think any of us will have to worry about what happens to the trails when gas hits 6 bucks a gallon this winter..........[/b]
You'll won't have to worry about that for a while, $6 a gallon gas would put the US into a recession long before it got that high.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Yes our funds our protected but what most people don't realize is that a good portion of our money comes outside of our specially held fund, provided to us by the state so the budget can have an effect.
This is why I believe that there were alternative motive for passing the legislation last fall protecting our recreational money. Now that our money is protected, the State (which is looking to make cuts) can basically cut the money that is allocated towards things that can support themselves, ie hunters, fisherman, and us. I will wager any amount of money that unless the economy improves quickly, we will see steep increases in trail passes and game licenses to create system where the users pay to play persay. Probably more like they have in Ontario.
I could be way off base, but just my thoughts J[/b]
Welcome to the world of the $200 trail permit. It's not that bad, really.
It's always amazed me that Americans tend to be more right wing then Canadians, but yet their tax dollars support snowmobiling far more then ours do. Just seems kind of odd, when you can go on a site like HCS and find lots of americans who think that any taxation is too much, yet they have government supported trail networks, while here in Canada, where we're used to, and ok with, higher taxes, our teails are completely user pay. Some kind of disconnect there.

I dont think any of us will have to worry about what happens to the trails when gas hits 6 bucks a gallon this winter..........[/b]
You'll get used to that too.

You'll won't have to worry about that for a while, $6 a gallon gas would put the US into a recession long before it got that high.[/b]
Oh, it's coming, and the economy is going to have to adjust, which it will. It won't be the cause of a serious recession, unless people are completely unwilling to adjust to the reality of higher prices.

In Canada we've been paying well over $4.00/gallon for a couple of years now, and our economy is booming like never before. With the American dollar in free-fall, and oil hitting record prices, it won't be long before you start seeing a sharp and permanent rise in the cost of gas.
It actually needs to get to about $8/gallon before it will really start to affect consumption.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
In Canada we've been paying well over $4.00/gallon for a couple of years now, and our economy is booming like never before. With the American dollar in free-fall, and oil hitting record prices, it won't be long before you start seeing a sharp and permanent rise in the cost of gas.
It actually needs to get to about $8/gallon before it will really start to affect consumption.[/b]

Depends where you are, its really not over 4.00 on average, more about 3.00-3.25$. Alot depends on the US->CAN dollar value.

I just took a trip down south. I can fill my car up for about $15-$18 less a tank in the USA. This is about a 65 litre tank, its hard to believe Gas can be that much cheaper. If you filled up (only) once a week, thats is $60+ a month.
Americans really have conditioned themselves to think the deserve cheap gas, $6 a gallon would cripple most. Just think if we were paying $2 a litre how much your monthly gas bill would go up.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Just heard on the radio today that they are going to attempt a huge increase in hunting and fishing licenses as part of the new budget. Like I said earlier and Newfie mentioned, trail passes will eventually be lumped in with the increases.

Gas prices will have some effect but it seems like the ones with the money will still pay whatever it takes for a good time. I know that my neighbor said he wouldn't be using his $250,000 motor home when gas hit $3 a gallon a couple years ago. Now it doesn't even get a mention, somehow people adapt. :confused:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I know that my neighbor said he wouldn't be using his $250,000 motor home when gas hit $3 a gallon a couple years ago. Now it doesn't even get a mention, somehow people adapt. :confused:[/b]
My Son with his $2,500 car wishes he had this problem. LOL

Jeff

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'll pay 6 bucks a gallon and $200.00 trail passes when I get a $25.00 per hour raise!
Glad I walk to work, my truck sits collecting dust only getting it out to get grocery's and go to the Dr's. I dont need a snowmobile to survive but I sure will miss it when the above happens.
The Harley gets me out and about so I dont go nuts. I can go anywhere I want for a fraction of what snowmobiling costs and alllllllmost as fun. CAN YOU SAY 50 MPG?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I'll pay 6 bucks a gallon and $200.00 trail passes when I get a $25.00 raise!
Glad I walk to work, my truck sits collecting dust only getting it out to get grocery's and go to the Dr's. I dont need a snowmobile to survive but I sure will miss it when the above happens.
The Harley gets me out and about so I dont go nuts. I can go anywhere I want for a fraction of what snowmobiling costs and alllllllmost as fun. CAN YOU SAY 50 MPG?[/b]
If you think a Harley is allllmost as fun as snowmobiling, you've got a very different idea of what snowmobiling's all about then I do.

Like it or not, the price of feul has to go up, espically for americans with teh dollar losing value everyday. That's the principal reason that oil is hitting record high's these days.

I know how you feel though. My employer pays for almost all my feul (not for the sled, unforntunately) and I don't know what I'd do if they didn't. Man, those Hemi's suck it back fast.

Actually, I'm thinking about switching jobs, and if I do I'll likely buy a Mercedes Smart Car, a VW Golf, or a compact 2wd pickup. I could never affrd to operate my current truck even at today's gas prices.

But give up sledding? Not even at $10/gallon.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If you think a Harley is allllmost as fun as snowmobiling, you've got a very different idea of what snowmobiling's all about then I do.

I have been riding snowmobiles for 35 years, thats 35 years since I actually owned a sled [19] not riding as a infant counting the years. Nothing compares to sleding but it is not such a big deal to me anymore. The costs are prohibitive for anything about the sport.
My first brand new sled was $700.00! Now there $10,000! I know there is no comparison from old to new but come on, my wages didn't increase 900%.
I'am new to biking and love it so far, there is always something going on every weekend and have made many new friends. We went on a fall tour of the northern lower and our first gas stop was 150 miles, my bike took exactly 3 gallons. I commented to the others that if this was my sled it would have taken 15 gallons for the same distance. They all shook their heads but none of them are snowmobilers either.
Sure bikes are expensive too but you get about a thousand times more wear and tear out of them before it needs a rebuild, you dont have moguals for roads and you dont have to depend on snow to ride it.

But give up sledding? Not even at $10/gallon.[/b]
Now that is a very stupid childish statement! You have no limits? Thats what OPEC wants to hear and the rest of the oil barrons, good thing not all think like you!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Now that is a very stupid childish statement! You have no limits? Thats what OPEC wants to hear and the rest of the oil barrons, good thing not all think like you![/b]
It's not stupid or childish. Prices will need to double before the general public will start to make dramatic changes in their life style, and they'll need to at least triple before I would ever consider giving up my absolute favourite thing in the world to do.
Now, if Shiek Abdula Alsiri Malek Shamar, or JR Ewing come on Snowmobileworld.com and decide to up the price of oil world wide because of what I wrote, I apologize.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
its not OPEC setting the prices

its the darn Shareholders/investors panicking everytime a monkey farts in Brazil

OPEC sets limits on what they drill out,they lose out if oil is too expensive for consumers

Remember the stock ,mraket is reflective of the world at large and it is ran by fear mongering which scares the shareholders and investors

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh beleive if gas gets to $5 or $6 a gallon my sled will be gone! I would never pay the state of Michigan $180-$200 for a trail pass :crazy: The weather here does not warrent those kind of prices !!! I'm sure I'm not alone in that scenario.....There are years where I only got 50 miles because of conditions and then where would all the extra money go? I don't know about Canada or other state but I don't trust the politicians here in our great state of Michigan!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Oh beleive me if gas gets to $5 or $6 a gallon my sled will be gone! I would never pay the state of Michigan $180-$200 for a trail pass :crazy[/b]
LOL could you imajine paying that kind of money for Michigan's mogual maddness trail system!!!

I think your sled "might" be gone but it would be worthless cause no one would by it except for a few guys like newfiebullet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts