Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to take a moment to thank all those guys and gals who drive the groomers day and night. I know because I used to groom and it is one long and boring job. And if you think it easy to do go to your local club and just take a ride and see how hard it is to operate one of the machines. And went they ask for a donation please think of these people who drive them. Just one man opinion.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have to agree.  The groomer job can be a very needy position.  It can get old after a while with good snow fall.  The wost part is 2 am in the morning ( after bar close ) and all the drunks get the smooth trails.  If I hear the groomer go by in the AM I get up and go...in the other direction.  

You Go Groomer Men/Women!!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
believe it or not i have never ridden on a groomed trail the trails i ride are well not maintained they are private trails that the club put together i think we have umm maybe 100 members just in the little community and they dont get much traffic so they never get groomed and at some points they are very narrow and a groomer would not fit we just run them down small deer runs in the wooded areas and down the side or corn feild for the whole club we have about 50 mi or trials but i know its a ahrd job one of my frineds dad is a groomer and he leaves the house about 7-8 at night and comes back about 7-8 the next day  and he dosent get to ride much  so ill be sure to put in the donation this year if i ever ride nice trails

·
Registered
741 Posts
I agree trail groomers need to be thanked.I know a couple guys that used to groom that are in my club. ----THANK_YOU. Kevin

·
Registered
83 Posts
I appreciate the great job they doo, but we already pay for our trail permits in ontario ($150) and our club is over 650 members strong and get a great kick back from the OFSC, #### we pay our groomer operators to run the thing. Our club rotates about 10 drivers so not take away from snowmobiling to much. Should thank all the volunteers like myself and many others who spend countless hours in the summer and fall cleaning brush on the trails, cutting new trails, putting up signs, building bridges, getting permision from landowners to cross their properties, selling trail passes etc....
Because without all these people there would be no trails to gromm or ride. These people are the backbone of snowmobiling and are the ones that really love the sport anough to sacrafice long hours so everyone else can enjoy our great sport!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Mass the state will pay a club so much money for the mile they groom on state land. The groomer are small and are gas power with 6cyl engine. They are loud and hard on the body and only wide as two sleds. The people who drive them are volunteers only and put long hours.

·
Registered
752 Posts
hauler : We too pay our operators to run some of the best grooming equipment made . Yet there are other clubs in other areas or States or Provinces that are stuggling with old alpines to groom with . Just goes to show how different things can be in the world of sledding. Grooming is everything , if your trails are rough people notice and won't support you in the future.

·
Registered
138 Posts
IndySKS-Ares look like that except they are Yellow Cats. Those are a blast to drive. We also have a JD with duallys in the rear. And a Tucker for the tight trails. Are groomers ar volunteers, not paid. The groom mechanics get paid for there time bu tdonate it straight back to the club. I like grooming more then riding, run the same trails, heated cab:) radio!! Get to talk to riders all night (they love to stop and talk to groomers).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cannot say enough good things about the guys moving these Piston-Bullies through the tight steep woods of Vermont. They are able to move these things through spots in tree clusters that make you wonder how they got the machine and the groomer attachment through. There are many sidehill dropoffs on the logging trails that are used for snowmobile trails. If they lose it on these sidehills, I dont think they are walking away.We have some of the best trails when the weather cooperates. Believe me, without groomers, some of these trails would be almost unridable becauase of the whoops and steeps. I always give these guys the thumbs up when they pass because of how the can transform crap into perfect packed trails with one pass. I am the first to buy these guys a beer at the bar when they are not working the PB's. Make sure that you thank the groomer operators and let them know how we appreciate their efforts.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here is what I get to groom with!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
M10rules  If you don't mind me asking what does one of those CAT'S  weigh ? How about the horse power ? I was always told they were too heavy to groom with. This is the first time I have seen any one actually use one for a groomer. I realize that you may be in a fairly flat area with no mountains to climb but how do they handle the deep snow ? Most of our area is flat farm feilds .

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is the only groomer I have ever driven so I don't know how it handles compared to the others. Gas Mileage is awful compared to the others. Hills you have to be careful. If they are icey, you have two choices, go around them or full throttle straight up and pray!!! Most people don't like the Hydrostatic steering but I love it. If you get on flat wide trails it cruises at about 12.5 mph. Makes quick work of the trails that way. If you get to far off to the side and try to come back up on to the trail you can pop the tracks off$$$$$ They have to bring Cat out then. Not sure on the weight or HP. People love them and won't drive the other groomers or they hate it and won't go near it. There seems to be no inbetween. For farm feilds I would say definently, great top end speed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks M10rules , thats kind of interesting to know.  I would like to see one in action someday to see what it could . Till then we'll stick with the Ford Sur Trac's that Ebert Welding makes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you ever want to meet a group of extremely dedicated trail groomers,you have got to get to Eagle River,Wisconsin. 1st class all the way. Their dedication to the sport is evident every morning when you leave your motel and ride on tabletop flat trails in any direction. My hats off to these trail grooming pros.     Rb

1 - 17 of 17 Posts