Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to make a grunt tool for tearing my clutch down, can anyone having one give me some measurements on the triangular section and where the posts are for the spider?  Thank you all who respond.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I made one for a polaris clutch, and yours will be very similar.  I dont have dimensions as I gave it to the guy who bought my sled but I can give you some advice.  All I did was cut a 1/4 inch piece of steel into a triangle, and then bored a hole in the center to allow the shaft of the clutch to pass through.  I then welded on a 2 inch diameter piece of pipe to the plate.  You could also use a large socket, and weld that to the plate, so you can use a breaker bar.  I used a 4 foot aluminum pipe wrench, because these babies are torqued to 240 ft. lbs.  I then placed the plate on the spider and cut 1/2 steel rod about an inch long, and clamped then to the underside of the triangle, where they would press against the side of the spider at all three sides.  I then tack welded them to the plate.  Here is where I suggest you use flat stock instead of rod, as I cracked my spider due to not enough surface area of the rod wrenching against the side of the spider.  I made my tool look just like the factory polaris one, but the fact that my clutch had not been dissasembled for 4000 miles, I think the factory tool would have done the same.  This baby was frozen on.  If you use 1/4 thick flat stock about 1 inch wide, that will give you more surface area against the soft aluminum spider.  You may also want to get some penetrating oil like Knocker loose, and spray the crap out of the thread area and let it sit a while before you try.  I believe you can purchase a spider for your clutch in case you do crack it.  With polaris, no such luck, as they don't sell the spider by itself.  I hope this makes sense, I wich I could draw you a picture.  

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts