Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have D&D Clutch/Power Breather/B&B Eliminator and still have the AC Single pipe.  Does anyone have any experience or know anyone who has "gutted the airbox" with the single pipe.  I'm still jetted with the 330's, I'm going to be throwing in a set V-Force reeds before the season.  Just wondering if I would be "flirting with disaster" or still be somewhere in the safe zone, or if it's even something worth experimenting with.
I'm not planning on any additional mods.

Thanks for any input, just would like to hear some experiences.

A

·
0 Posts
I know a guy up north that has a 98 ZL500 that has a gutted airbox with the power breather and stock pipe.  He did nothing with the jetting but ended up frying a cylinder.  He fixed it, fattened it a bit and has had no problems since.  Just remember, anytime you go to that extreme, you always flirt with disaster if you're not on top of it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Is the sled carbed or efi? If efi, don't do it. If carbed o.k. just fatten the mains a little. They are easy to gut. I also have a buddy that has a zl500 with a gutted box and a single pipe. He said it was doing 100mph (on the dream gauge) and it had a bad axle bearing ( I mean really bad) too boot. Kevin

·
Registered
54 Posts
I gutted the air box on my 99 and 02 ZRT's. I was still fat. The 500 ZL/ZR motor runs on the ragged edge. Normal EGT when properly jetted is 1055 F, but it detonates at 1100 F. 45 degrees between normal and burn down it's pretty touchy. The 600 motor is 1115 normal, 1200 detonation. 85 degrees. A little more room for error.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PurpleZRT...did yours make a noticable performance difference?  They say the jetting is usually fat from factory.
After installing the power breather, it was still fat from the 330(factory) mains.  That is what I'm wondering if maybe gutting it would get that little extra and still be fairly safe, but be dialed in a little more.  Have to wait till season to try I guess.
I've been told that the 600's starve for air.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No...I'd have to say it didn't make much of a difference. I think the airbox shelf restriction is more of a problem with big displacement motors that need more air. T-Cats and 800 ZRT's.  It didn't seem to hurt though...didn't even seem to effect intake noise. Yes..my experience with Suzooks is they come jetted real fat. My 96 Zert 6 came with 360's or 370's and most of the time I run 320's and 330's. I've had it pinned to the bar at 0 degrees F for 20 miles on a RR grade. I'm 0-1000 ft and if she was gonna burn it woulda happened. I ALWAYS run premium non-ethanol gas too.  NOT ALL of em come that fat though. In fact..with the different pipe design of my 99 and 02 I can't run that lean. Went from 370's to 340's-350's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts