Snowmobile World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 Kawasaki Drifter 440 and a 1977 Ski-Doo Blizzard 6500.  The Blizzard has twin pipes and a gutted muffler, runs and sounds sweet!! The muffler was gutted by the previous owner who now lives in Texas, so I have no way of contacting him on how he did it.  I want to gut the muffler on the Kawi, but will I have to re-jet?  Just to see the power difference I put a spare stock muffler on the blizzard and and did notice a slight power loss.  Is it hard to do?  I can weld and have access to cutting torches, so that is no problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and THINK SNOW!!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Skidooki, is this sled for trail use or racing? You might like the sound, but your neighbours and/or non-snowmobilers you may come across while riding may not be so enthusiastic.

What's the general opinion of gutting mufflers folks considering what we've been discussing the last few days.

·
Registered
625 Posts
No, do not "gut" the muffler, this will cause loss of performance. two stroke exhaust are designed to have a "muffler" that is tuned to the system, all you will gain from this is "mental" horsepower, and you will probably lose 2-3 horsepower.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I dont think it would hurt gutting the MUFFLER. The pipe may be tuned but the muffler likely is not. I drop the stock box on all my sleds and put on light wieght silencers and i gain HP. The muffler cant make that big a difference if you can swap from sled to sled on todays stuff (if it fits). and even if you did lose or gain you not going to notice anyway. The question is do you want to be the guy that everyone complains about when stealthing back into town or to the trailer??

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sled-head @ Sep. 05, 2002, 9:04pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The question is do you want to be the guy that everyone complains about when stealthing back into town or to the trailer??[/b][/quote]
Very good point. My sentiments exactly.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
My first sled a 1973 GP 292 Yamaha had two mufflers for some reason. Anyway's I pulled one off and all I got was a very loud sled and -15 MPH + terrible mileage. You be the judge.......

·
Registered
0 Posts
A muffler or silencer helps in creating some back presure
which is good for torque. I think that most aftermarket cans
are more for the weight savings and don't really add any
significant HP. I've read of the development of a tuned
silencer to further compliment the tuned pipe which is
proving to ad some significant gains. In fact, some people
are running exhaust restrictors on thier MXZ800's for a
gain. Not sure how well this works on long pulls especially
with a heat soaked motor. But they claim it helps up the
power a little bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.