Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of changing my grips on my '00 mxz7 to the new "custom" duel density grips (i've seen them in bomb.direct.)  But I was wondering if anyone has changed their grips,and if you had any problems with your hand warmers not being warm enough afterward. I overheard some guys talking the other day about this and one said that the extra material helped with grip but his heaters were naot as hot as before.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have not made the swap, but I have found out how to get the grips warmer.  All you need is a spray can of insulation.  Poke a hole in the end of the hand grip( big enought to slide the insulation tube into) then fill the handle bars.  The air in the handle bars takes alot to warm up.  With insulation in there it will heat up faster, and be ALOT warmer ALOT longer.  I have it done to my sleds.  The bars warm up so fast and are so hot, you might even have to turn them off somtimes.  This is a great idea, cheap, and really works.  

·
Registered
918 Posts
I changed my grips to the dual density ones and I really like them. They didnt affect my warmers at all. You have to be super careful when you are cutting the grips off so you dont cut the wires.
                 Ryan

Last edited by RNM2399 at Sep. 17, 2002, 4:00pm

·
Registered
310 Posts
well i believe i already made that mistake when i put on my J hooks.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
When you're cutting the old grips off, use a box cutter type knife. Start at the inner portion of the grip, w/ the sharp edge towards the grip. When you cut cut the rubber & don't apply pressure towards the warmer portion. Last winter my brother put the MXZx grips on his Formula Deluxe & had no problems.

The foam insulation tip is a great idea. The only other use I had heard before was to "foam" your trailing arms to stiffen them.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have had different types of soft grips on many of my sleds, I've never noticed much of a change in temp. As for bar hooks if you carefully peel the warmer element off the bars you can turn it around & reattach it so the wires exit the other end of the grip, now install the bar hooks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (2tone800X @ Sep. 17, 2002, 12:26am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Never heard adding foam to trailing arms for extra strength before.[/b][/quote]
2tone800x,  Not for the trailing arms bud it is used for the bars it helps keep you hands warmer.Here where I ride we all do this. It also helps when changing the grips if you use air pressure to blow the grip onto the bar. If you dont fill the bars with spray foam you will have to stuff something into the bar end`s to keep the air from blowing out the other end.  

·
Registered
44 Posts
Muskoka its true some snocross racers do have the foam in the trailing arms for a little bit of xtra strength with no added
weight.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yup its true. Just remember the stronger you make your trailing arm the more apt something else is is going to get messed up instead of the trailing arm if you hit something. Easier to replace a trailing arm than straighten out a bent bulkhead. Trailing arms are made a specific strength for a reason. Just a thought.
                Ryan

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I've never foamed the trailing arms myself, but what Ryan says is true, something else is going to give.

Here is a comment from a fellow sledder, Tony Severenuk.

"If you drive a doo, there is another thing you can try for the thumbwarmer.

The heater element on a doo mounts on the back side of the flipper. When they mount it they use a hard epoxy type adhesive. I've found over the years that the wind can wick the heat out of the thumbwarmer before it heats up.

Note: This is the way that Polaris and Cat ship sleds, there is typically foam on the back of the thumbwamer.

Grab a chunk of foam tape and tape it to the back of the thumbwarmer and you'll find it stays a lot warmer."

I've always thought the thumbwarmers on my 'doos were useless, I'll try that too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i'm glad to hear that no one has noticed any decrease in hand warmer operation wit the addition of new grips!
 As far as the foam in the handle bars goes....I actually filled my bars with silicone...(an old dirtbike trick)... this pretty much eliminates vibration in handle bars(not that there is alot on a doo,but it helps on thoes "green ones" too).,and it does help the heat go outward first, instead of heating the air inside the bars.( a tube of silicone calk only costs a couple bucks)
   HOW do the new grips feel???   do they also help with grip ? I use leather gloves,and they can get slippery after a while.
Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (600MXZ @ Sep. 17, 2002, 1:59pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Muskoka its true some snocross racers do have the foam in the trailing arms for a little bit of xtra strength with no added
weight.[/b][/quote]
That`s what is so good about this sport,always something to learn from someone.
 Now that I have a REV I will have to find something else to spray foam into.

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Splended idea boys! I will have too try the foam idea!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts