Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Away at Old Forge this weekend with the family and I noticed some things that really ticked me off. Hand Signals I believe are a vital part of the sport. They let us know to be cautious of other riders that are coming, they also can inform us of cops and possible dangers. Several times I passed groups of snowmobilers who when I raised my fist indicating I was the last person in line they would wave violently thinking I was greeting them. I wonder how long this people pass groups until they realize that were informing them of the amount of people. I think that if your going to buy a snowmobile, the gear, drive 4 hours hauling a $2k trailer and rent a hotel, the least thing you can do is learn your hand signals. I dont know why this makes me angry but it does. Its kinda like the guy driving down the road in front of you and he doesnt use his turn signal or he fails to put his hazards on when hes driving 5 in a 35mph speed limit. Anyways safe riding and learn those hand signals

·
Registered
126 Posts
The people you are referring to ARE the same ones that drive their cars 25 mph in the residential zone they live in, but 40 mph in other residential zones. They make left turns from the right lane, pass on the right and try to cut you off at the merge where the construction starts even though a sign says "right lane closed 2 miles ahead", 2 miles ahead, and almost never use turn signals. Why should someone that drives like a fu#@ing as&^ole in his car give a rats a$s about you or anyone else. These types of people need to be put in their place. A couple of weeks ago, I was in a line at the gas station (on my sled) with 3 sleds in front of me and about 10 behind me, when some jerk on a Polaris (just in case you are on this forum, you will know who you are) decided to pass everyone and start a new line to access the pumps from the other side. Any complete imbecile could have seen the line. I spoke up and told him where the line forms for fuel, and do you think ANYONE in line stepped up and said "yeah, get in line"? Not a chance. As long as we allow people to act like idiots and walk all over us, they will continue to do so, because they know they can get away with it. Everyone at that pump at that time was as wrong as the guy that "took cuts". There is no need to be rude or get violent, but Jesus H Christ, explain life to these types of people. If not for yourselves, do it for the rest of us and mankind. Oops, womankind, too.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I know what you mean.  That is a pet peave of mine as well.  I hate it when you are trying to signal and the morons wave at you, all 10 of them in a row!  It seems to either be ignorance, or laziness.  What realy gets me is when you are coming around a corner and there is a guy heading your way going way to fast.  It is, how should I word this, "interesting", or "agravating" to watch them try and turn, brake, and signal at the same time, SAFELY!  Just takes a little common sense........
I share you agravation man.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think that they just don't know about them.  It is not something that is commonly know, but should be.  I have run across it too and it ticks me off too.  What do you expect, they are the same people that would put a 12 year old on a TCat as their first sled.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Last year was the first time I rode on trails.  I thought everybody was so friendly!

It took me about 1/2 a day before I realized what was happening, that the riders were signalling how many were in the group.  When I realized it I felt pretty stupid.  

Now I'm a willing participant, although because our running order always changes, half the time I still put the wrong number up.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just looked at that link and must confess that in our area, signals are vastly different.  Out here, we hold up the number of fingers for how many riders are behind us, and the last guy makes a fist.

·
Registered
300 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HOTZRT @ Jan. 15 2002, 11:16am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think that they just don't know about them.  It is not something that is commonly know, but should be.  I have run across it too and it ticks me off too.  What do you expect, they are the same people that would put a 12 year old on a TCat as their first sled.[/b][/quote]
I agree.  I would say most just don't know.  Last year while passing a group i looked back at my buddy who was last.  He put his hand up and waived.  When we stopped i told him about the hand signals.   He wasn't being a jerk he just didn't know.  Most people in my area also put up the number of fingers of riders to follow.  We ride very tight trails so knowing about an on-coming sled is important.  eric

·
Registered
392 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (EGXCR @ Jan. 15 2002, 11:56am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HOTZRT @ Jan. 15 2002, 11:16am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think that they just don't know about them.  It is not something that is commonly know, but should be.  I have run across it too and it ticks me off too.  What do you expect, they are the same people that would put a 12 year old on a TCat as their first sled.[/b][/quote]
I agree.  I would say most just don't know.  Last year while passing a group i looked back at my buddy who was last.  He put his hand up and waived.  When we stopped i told him about the hand signals.   He wasn't being a jerk he just didn't know.  Most people in my area also put up the number of fingers of riders to follow.  We ride very tight trails so knowing about an on-coming sled is important.  eric[/b][/quote]
Eric, we basically just said the same thing, but I guess since we ride in the same general area, it makes sense.  If you see some bozo on an orange sled wave at you... it's probably me.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
i just looked at the link too, wow, they are a little different but still good. I don't think I would start using them though or too many people would get confused. I just had a new rider start with us this yr and luckily I did remember to tell him about the signals. I think it is actually up to us to inform new riders of this. Some people, myselft included, just don't know when they first start riding because no one informed them of it. I think we all need to hand off this info to the newbies. Keep it safe. And Ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
we just signal that there is a rider behind us, unless it is the last in the group, who signals such.

Holding fingers to indicate how many just isn't practical, in my opinion.  First of all, I wear mitts.  Secondly, I am more concerned with staying to my side of the trail than counting fingers.

If each rider in the group indicates some one following, that is good enough for me.

do you guys know a site that shows the hand signals used in your areas?  i am curious to see what is different.

thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
The people I ride with tend to put the fingers up of the riders remaining and the last guys closed his fist.  I used to do that until I started riding with mittens.  I couldn't figure out how to let them know there were more riders behind me.  Now that I looked at the site, I will use the signal that they suggest.  That signal is probably used because people do ride with mittens and it may be difficult for some people to tell how many fingers others are holding up.  The problem with riding locally is that many don't ride that much around here and they don't even know that there are signals.  Thanks for the link to OFSC.  It is helpful.  Anything to make the trails safer is time well spent.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
My opinion, is that if you can, and its safe to do so, and you don't have mitts on, then it doesn't hurt to hold up fingers.  I find it nice, to know that there are 3 more coming.  But either the number, or sleds following is fine.  As long as the last in line, signals so, I'm happy.

FishHog

P.S. My hand signals are getting rusty, due to lack of utilization.  I find this a safety hazard, so would someone please turn up the snow.  Just for safety sake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to admit that I didn't know about some of the signals on Ontario's website until a couple of years ago. My 60 year old uncle just learned about them last year. I don't recall seeing these signals listed in Wisconsin's snowmobile laws booklet. I realize it's not law that you have to use hand signals (and I don't think it should be - safety should outweigh using hand signals), but it wouldn't hurt for the states to put these in their booklets as courtesy guidelines or something like that (along with a comment on the front cover about learning the signals - since most people don't read the booklets unless they have something specific they're looking for). It would also be nice if the snowmobile manufacturers/dealers gave out a hand signal card with their products! I think I've seen these included with some bicycles.

·
Registered
935 Posts
In Maine we use fingers to represent the number of riders behind us but the mitt signal I was unaware of, I'll have to pass that on to a friend who wears them. In Maine last week we came across just a few with no hand signals and looked at us like we were idiots. They will be the first to hit a on coming sled in a corner not knowing the rules of the trail.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, where we ride in wisconscon we signal how many are behind.  whenever i ride with mits on, i just dont bother signaling, as there was just 2 or more people in front of me that signaled how many are remaining.

the thing that REALLY gets me going is when the a$$ holes comming the other way dont turn their brights off.. GERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.  its especially bothersome on a narow trail in a turn. morons.

- Jason

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
So, do you same guys hand signal while driving down two lane roads in your truck? Why not? The vehicle passing you at 60 mph is only four feet away.
I personally dont care how many people are in a group!
Who cares! Just do your thing and stay on YOUR side of the trail. A snowmobile has a place for two hands and that is what it is meant for. I have had some close calls because some idiot had to drive one handed to start the stupid a$$ countdown act then hit a rut.
I will admit I use them if I see a dangerous situation like a bunch of rebels taking a corner to fast or cresting a hill.
I know many of you are thinking I"am a real a$$ for saying this, but at least I got the balls to voice MY opinion. Aint america great!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ride in northern WI and the UP, most of the signals I see Are the # of fingers and a closed fist, but the official signals I believe are arm motions : arm straight out for left turn, bent at the elbow with fore arm straight up for right turn, throw left arm up in the air for danger ahead or aproaching sleds,arm lowered and downward motion for slowing down, and for you guys with mittens point your thumb back over your shoulder (several times)for sleds following

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have worn mittens for the last four years, and when I pass sleds, I just hold up five to indicate that there are more sleds coming, and leave it up to the last rider to notify that the goup is finished.  One amusing thing I have seen with the coundown is when the group is riding somewhat slow and another group has caught up, and the last guy is signalling last sled, when in fact there are like 6 sleds behind him.  I always laugh to myself inside my helmet when I see a guy (or gal
) put up the closed fist when there are a bunch of sleds behind them.

it really doesn't matter to me if you tell me how many sleds are behind you because I only care about when the last one goes by.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The group I ride with is pretty good with hand signals, I'm not sure if they are the correct ones but it gets the point across, I think the lack of hand signals from most riders is not knowing any of them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts