Snowmobile World banner

Hand Warmer?

7K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  wilma 
#1 ·
05 REV GTX The rear passenger hand warmers will not work. Was this way when I bought it. The wiring plugs into two wires. I have a good 12 volts there. After the two wires, it goes to another connection and then to the switch. The switch only has 3 wires to it, the hot and then the low and high wires I assume. At the switch, I only have 0.08-0.10 volts with touching the ground to the battery or the ground to another connection under the seat. It seems like I am not getting the 12 volts to the switch. Why would this be? Shouldnt the switch have 12 volts? Any help would be good. I hate electrical stuff!! :cussing:

#2 ·
At the connection after the first initial connection with just the two wires, there are several wires coming into and out, the wire to the switch, the wires from the switch to the warmers and so on. When I check the voltage here, the voltage reads ~ 12 volts but my meter is showing - negative. Not sure what this means but hopefully someone understands whats going on and can help me please. Thanks Greg

#3 ·
Wow,
I'm glad I'm not alone.........I have a 2006 GTX with 200 miles on it and the rear hand grip heaters have never worked. It's out of warrantee and so far two dealers are clueless as to what's wrong. Like yu, I'm getting no power to the switch. I'm about to pull up the driver seat, trace the wire to see where it goes and if there are any breaks. It's starting to snow and I want to get this fixed.

Should have stuck with Polaris

Good riding,
paul

#4 ·

Good riding,
paul[/b]
I know a fellow with an 01 edge 600 that would trade you for the gtx if it lc. XCR583 any pics of this wiring for me to see ? I am going to the dealer tomorrow to pick up some pants and will see if the gtx is still on the floor and check it out.

#6 ·
05 REV GTX The rear passenger hand warmers will not work. Was this way when I bought it. The wiring plugs into two wires. I have a good 12 volts there. After the two wires, it goes to another connection and then to the switch. The switch only has 3 wires to it, the hot and then the low and high wires I assume. At the switch, I only have 0.08-0.10 volts with touching the ground to the battery or the ground to another connection under the seat. It seems like I am not getting the 12 volts to the switch. Why would this be? Shouldnt the switch have 12 volts? Any help would be good. I hate electrical stuff!! :cussing:[/b]
Sorry I took so long in a reply XCR, There's a BRP campaign concerning just what you mentioned. Look at the attached document and see if you can get your dealer to belly up to the table on this issue.

[attachment=40941:pass_heater_camp.doc]

Attachments

#8 ·
Sorry, havent been on here past couple days, been a little under the weather. Thanks for the info DOC. Dooman, I will try and get some pics tomorrow. I hope to work on it some more tomorrow. Youve probably already been to the dealer but it may help to explain whats going on.

#9 ·
TD, I had talked to my dealer about this and he ran the VIN and said that there was nothing avaliable to do for it. He had said about there being a "RECALL" he called it but when running my VIN nothing avaliable. He gave me the print out and it showed the original owner and showed that there had been no warranty work on the sled. You seem to know the dealer stuff pretty good, is this somehting that I have to raise a fuss about to get them to do anything? The other thing is that they have a ton of sleds and quads sitting there to be fixed now and who knows when I would get it back.

#11 ·
TD, I had talked to my dealer about this and he ran the VIN and said that there was nothing avaliable to do for it. He had said about there being a "RECALL" he called it but when running my VIN nothing avaliable. He gave me the print out and it showed the original owner and showed that there had been no warranty work on the sled. You seem to know the dealer stuff pretty good, is this somehting that I have to raise a fuss about to get them to do anything? The other thing is that they have a ton of sleds and quads sitting there to be fixed now and who knows when I would get it back.[/b]
I mentioned a gtx passenger grip heat problem to dealer. he said " there is an update that it probably needs. I need the rear portion of the seat to do it."

#13 ·
Just an FYI gentlemen, This is a Campaign...not a service bulletin. It applies to 2005 models only, 2006 are supposed to be upgraded unless it's an early build. Read the Campaign with your dealer. It states ALL SERIAL NUMBERS and the termination date is 2008-10-03. If you call BRP customer support and say one of your children has suffered frost bite in their hands, they will take notice. BRP has had enough grief over the first generation Modular Helmets and frost bite.

#15 ·
Wow,
I'm glad I'm not alone.........I have a 2006 GTX with 200 miles on it and the rear hand grip heaters have never worked. It's out of warrantee and so far two dealers are clueless as to what's wrong. Like yu, I'm getting no power to the switch. I'm about to pull up the driver seat, trace the wire to see where it goes and if there are any breaks. It's starting to snow and I want to get this fixed.

Good riding,
paul[/b]
This is what I was referring to Barry.

#16 ·
Just an FYI gentlemen, This is a Campaign...not a service bulletin. It applies to 2005 models only, 2006 are supposed to be upgraded unless it's an early build. Read the Campaign with your dealer. It states ALL SERIAL NUMBERS and the termination date is 2008-10-03. If you call BRP customer support and say one of your children has suffered frost bite in their hands, they will take notice. BRP has had enough grief over the first generation Modular Helmets and frost bite.[/b]
Thanks for the info TD. Mine is an 05. I messed around with it a little yesterday and wasnt able to get anything more figured out. I did snap some pics yesterday, will upload them later tonight. The one warmer is good for sure I think. I was able to get a good ohm reading on it, but I cant get anything on the other, not sure if I was getting the correct wires though.

May just deal with it this winter and drop it off in the spring after the season. I take it now to the dealer, may not get it back till spring. May have to say the wifes fingers got some frost bite!! Thanks again Simon!!!

Greg

#17 ·
I also have no power to the seat. I did however remove the seat, take it into the garage and connect it directly to a 12 v power supply..You could probably cook hotdogs on the grips now, so apparently the heating elements in the grips are OK..Now if I could only get power back to them.. I too hate this electrical ####....

#18 ·
Paco, I originally didnt have power to the seat either. The connector that plugs into the seat, the one with just 2 wires, I didnt have power coming out there. I was able to find another connector in under the black plastic piece that covers the main seat. I had to dig a little bit there was another one there that had power coming out of it. Maybe worth checking into.

#19 ·
XCR,
Are you refering to that black plastic cover that clips down just behind the base of the main seat? I lifted that off and found more wires and another plug just sitting there connected to nothing. Or did you find this other, unused connector, under the main driver seat ?

Thanks for all these questions paul

#20 ·
Guys, I have checked all the schematics from 2004 til 2007 and none include passenger seat wiring. I'm going to look for a suppliment manual at the dealer on Monday. I imagine the paperwork which came with a passenger hand warmer kit will give clues as to how is is supposed to be wired.

#22 ·
XCR,
Are you refering to that black plastic cover that clips down just behind the base of the main seat? I lifted that off and found more wires and another plug just sitting there connected to nothing. Or did you find this other, unused connector, under the main driver seat ?

Thanks for all these questions paul[/b]
I am referring to the black plastic cover at the base of the main seat. Like you said, there was another unused plug there. It had 12 volts, plugged into it but mine still arent working. I took 12 volts off the battery to the switch and mine still didnt work so I may need the update that TD is talking about. At this point, I think I am not going to worry about it. May take it to the dealer in the spring. print off what TD gave us and see what they say.

THANKS TD for all the trouble. I bought one of the shop manual CDs off ebay but it didnt have any of the wiring on it either.

#23 ·
XCR,
There is a website..I believe it's extremepowersports.com which has all the wiring diagrams for all the manufacturers. Unfortunately I couldn't find the the info that we need but it's a good reference to have. I did find that other plug that you mentioned, hooked it up to the seat... barely warm and certainly not the way it shoud be...MIght have to go back and fight with the dealer......

#24 ·
Sorry I took so long in a reply XCR, There's a BRP campaign concerning just what you mentioned. Look at the attached document and see if you can get your dealer to belly up to the table on this issue.

[attachment=40941:pass_heater_camp.doc][/b]
Thank you SO much for this attachment.

My husband and I just bought a 2005 GTX 600 today, (brand new, never used, from dealer, zero miles)...took it out for a ride today and figured out the hand warmers do not work at all for the rear passenger only. After much searching I found you all here with not only the answer, but the form. THANK YOU very much.

I emailed the dealer, included a jpg of the attachment you posted and will be interested to see her reaction. :) I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.