·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Most just open hoods

see it is not stock and slep you with fine

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I've been pulled over on 5 different occasions every time was in the Gaylord area....Heck we got pulled over 3 time in 1 weekend last year :cussing: I hhave seen 2 check points one was between Gaylord and lovells and the other was north of Gaylord.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Here in Quebec they set up traps usually where main routes converge. Attached is a couple of photos where they would stop everyone, ask for trail passes and open hoods. Transport Canada states no modification to OEM exhaust is legal. They cited McCrackin for loud can (MBRP) and told him that he probably wouldn't receive a summons or ticket in the mail. They were right the police never pursued it even though I have documented proof from my own decibel meter that it was under DB @ 25 meters which is supposed to be what manufacturers abide by. BTW some stock F6 and F7s read DB on the same test criteria. The main problem is mufflers for older equipment is hard to find. I build my own cans which externally resemble stock systems but have a good sound and weigh less than stock while maintaining enough back pressure to allow the pipe to function.

[attachment=40075:100_0016.JPG][attachment=40076:100_0017.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where are you speaking of? varies greatly[/b]

the latest place I have read it was in the msa mag . referring to many more check points being set up in Michigan . kind of a money grab for a monitarily lacking state . the last group of dnr`s I saw along the trail covered thaire ears as the lead guy went by but never even motioned to stop . this is why I am asking , what I read and what I see are very contradictory . M

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
mxzwfo got asked about his in houghton.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Between Paradise and Newberry(County line 500) there is a DNR officer waiting for sledders but he usually just checks for trail passes and waves you through. Had one sledder( not from our group) checking his papers ect...

I have seen this DNR officer 2 times in the same location TASA trail system.

Snow4

·
Registered
980 Posts
They were writing warnings down in sw lower last season. Talked to DNR on two consecutive Saturdays in Glenwood and they said they were looking for alcohol and noise before trail passes and registration. We had a three straight weeks of good snow and A LOT of sled traffic and DNR and clubs had noise complaints galore (on top of trespassing and other stupid stuff).

If they can use it for a money grab, I hope they do. I would just like to see them enforce the rules - especially in areas that really need noise enforcement. Any place the trails go through towns or neighborhoods should have noise limits.

The general public has a poor enough view of snowmobiling as it is, why make it worse

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
When I used to ride more in the LP I would see check points all the time. The U.P. is completely opposite as I cant remember the last time I was checked there. I've seen DNR and Sheriffs dept out on the trail but most of the time they are just riding around, never really any type of check point.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
this works well for me, dont ride the trail, dont get pulled over. pretty much ditches and off trail for me.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I know quite a few people that have gotten tickets in WI (always a fine, never a warning), but none in MI yet. I see way more checkpoints in the U.P. than in WI, but they always just look at our stickers and wave us through.

I actually know one guy who got a noise ticket for a stock ZRT600. The warden was apparently too ignorant to know that they came with triple pipes that were rather loud.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Getting stopped more and more here in Northern Ontario, mostly checking for paper work licence, registration, Insurance, and trail permit ....Unless you give them a reason to check your sled out some of them are pretty good but then again a few of them are huge #######s..A few trails have had to be rerouted because of loud sleds ( too close to houses, barn animals etc...)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
this works well for me, dont ride the trail, dont get pulled over. pretty much ditches and off trail for me.[/b]

I'm sure you know what the laws are in Minn. but in Ontario, it doesn't matter whether you're on the trail or not, as the law deals with sleds, PERIOD. Only on a sanctioned race track or on your very own personal property can you run a modded exhaust system. Now as mentioned, use common sense and as long as you aren't dealing with a cop named "Richard Noggin" and you're showing respect for the neighbours, cops, trail patrol members, townies, etc. you should be okay.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
HMMMM whats wrong with Mr.Noggin?

Yup common sense aka do not braap constantly

·
Registered
526 Posts
Where I ride in NE Wisconsin I see it all the time. The DNR warden will sit on the side of the trail with a decibel meter and if you are too loud, you get a ticket.
Here in Wisconsin the law states that you cant modify the exhaust to make it louder than stock, so if they think you dont have stock exhaust all they have to do is make you life the hood and if you have more than 1 exhaust pipe or if you have a "can" or stinger silencer you can bet you will be getting a ticket.

·
Registered
97 Posts
From the MSA Website. Not sure its been approved though.

Sound Legislation Expected to be Approved
by Bill Manson

Before any snowmobiler hits the trails in Michigan on Dec. 1, MSA would like them to check their exhaust. Approval was expected this summer on legislation that would put the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Stationary Snowmobile Sound Test procedure, SAE J-2567 into affect this snowmobile season. SAE J-2567, the Stationary Snowmobile Sound Test procedure, limits sound emission from a stationary snowmobile to 88-db.

Today’s sleds will pass SAEJ-2567. However, those sleds whose riders insist on using after-market products that increase the noise will not. Those not adhering to these levels will be ticketed by law enforcement officials. Make no mistake, the procedure to check sleds out on the trails is in place and those not adhering to the 88-db will receive a ticket.

SAE J-2567, the Stationary Snowmobile Sound Test procedure, was developed in response to a request to develop a stationary sound test for snowmobiles for enforcement purposes. This test was designed to test snowmobile noise emitted from the exhaust and engine system only. It is a stationary test, it does not test track noise. The stationary test does not correlate to any pass-by test. The test was designed to remove excessively loud snowmobiles from the trail, in particular those that have modified exhaust

This test has been accepted by SAE and can be used on a national and international level. Wisconsin has already approved the 88-db limit and many other states are actively seeking legislation.

MSA has taken the stand that loud exhausts are a problem our recreation can no longer tolerate. Problems with excessive noise levels occur when snowmobilers modify the snowmobile exhaust system or substitute the factory system with an after-market racing exhaust. Manufacturers continue to work at a “cleaner and quieter” sled. Some riders out there are destroying the work that has been done by “piping” up their sleds. This is not good for the overall perception of our recreation, and is affecting our ability to get landowners to allow us to use there property.

MSA as well as the International Manufactures Association (ISMA) continues to back an 88db noise level on new machines. It is a level the industry can live with and something that all associations should be pushing. The manufacturers, along with suppliers and others have conducted hundreds of sound test on various age snowmobiles to determine the 88-dB limit. Additional tests recently conducted in Houghton; show that using SAE J-2567 – 88db level – will remove excessively loud snowmobiles from riding areas and trails in Michigan.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
HMMMM whats wrong with Mr.Noggin?

Yup common sense aka do not braap constantly[/b]
Richard = Dick

Noggin = Head

Jeff (and don't add = $%^, behind my name. LOL)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts