of same deisplacement.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Impressive...same weight  

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
There exactly the same.  i didnt expect that.  It would be neat to see the 809triple vs the 800 twin. I would say the 800 twin would be lighter by 5lbs.  Still nothing to worry about.  

I hate when magazines say triples are heavy becasue there really only talking about the chassies there in and not the engine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
WOW

I guess you really shouldn't belive every thing you read!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
The best way to reduce is with the person riding!!!. Really the only thing that counts is power to weight ratio. Also if I know how long I will be riding I try to only run a half tank of fuel, that in itself is a big change in the way a sled handles. Example would be the time I raced a guy on a lake with almost an emty tank and beat him, the next time I lost because I had just filled my tank.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a MM700 motor but the size of the Polaris mill is
unknown to me. Can anyone ID it for us? The weight is in
Kilos and they are very close. Closer then what I would've
expected from reading all the hype. I did not perform the
test myself but believe it to be valid. I have heard that
the Yammi triple mill is on the light side for a triple but
come on, that's not "night and day" like they say.

Can anyone verify this be doing there own test? Maybe
staying with the same OEM to keep things somewhat level.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, I was thinking. Maybe we can get Sled Dogg or any one
else with the ZX conversion to weigh thier sled to see what
the actual difference is. Sled Dogg are you up for the
chalange?  

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I'll weigh the motor in different stages and the same with the Crank Shop pipes versus stock. I'll be weighing My MXZX chassis also with race car scales at three points with and w/out the motor. I sent some money to the guy today for the motor BTW. I put my Mt. bike on ebay a few days ago for a 10 day auction and it's up to $550 already. I put a 825 reserve as i have 1900 into it.
Caleb

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BGTRK19472 @ Aug. 28, 2002, 4:08pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also if I know how long I will be riding I try to only run a half tank of fuel, that in itself is a big change in the way a sled handles.[/b][/quote]
I noticed that w/ my '95 MXZ 440. When riding after a fill up, the handling wasn't the best, but as the fuel load dropped, it really improved.

This is the main reason the 'crossers run the clear tanks w/ minimum gas.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Polaris mill is
unknown to me. Can anyone ID it for us?

I beleive that is a 97 RMK motor
not positive on the year but it is definatly a 700

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks need snow! So now it looks like maybe we have equal
displacement betwen the triple and the twin but two
different manufactures.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have always known that my SRX handles very different than the SXR and everyone has always said it was because of the weight difference. Recently I talked to someone who put an SXR skid in an SRX and he said now his SRX feels identical to an SXR. To me this says that handling is more effected by suspension geometry than weight. I am with you guys I don't think the weight makes the difference everyone claims it does.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
We all know that the yamaha triple is very light and highly developed.

I think the real test is the 809 triple doo engine vs the 800 twin.  That would be a story and a half.  Because if that came back equal or close it would really be somthing.

However I do thing=k that the 809 does weigh more.  It has to.  Bigger crank, more pistons, well retaining all of the gadgets like the twin like Rave (only with one more).

I would suspect that it weighs about 5lb more like i stated before but it could be as far as 15lb more.  Which is still nothing IMO.

Some one on this site must have dont a test simular to both engines or at least lifted them up before.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Machzzzz1 I totaly agree that would be the best test and I
still think it would be 15/20#'s max. The twins do have a
big crankcase to get the volume up no? The pistons are bigger themselves and the crank has a little more weight
on the counter balance side to offset the bigger slugs, So
with bigger pistons comes bigger jugs and so on. This is my
opinion but please tell me if I'm way out of wack on this.
The triple has basically one more of everything but that
everything is just a little bit smaller then the twin.
Right? Wrong? I don't think there's an argument that triples
are heavier but I don't think it's by as much as most
believe.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
BAD TRIPLE! BAD HEAVY TRIPLE!  I'am going to call all four manufactures and demand they be banned from the earth

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Maluchm:  I think your on to somthing.  

But the triple engine is a cylinder reed engine not a lighter case reed like the twin.  But the twins have a longer stroke so i think they would have to have heavier built Rods and longer jugs and like you said bigger to incorporate the larger pistons.  And once again with a larger piston you will need stronger rods.  

My only thinking is that the 809 triple is built better then it needs to be with the size of the crank and rods anyway but it would be need to see.  I got no clue.  

Even so i dont think they will be much farther apart and the triple can make up for the few pounds it might have over the twin with the High reving, horsepower making nature of the triple.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts